HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Crop damage hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/290385-crop-damage-hunting.html)

Diesel77 03-28-2009 06:00 AM

Crop damage hunting

Okay, so I have been invited to do some crop damage hunting on a neighbors farm that has an overpopulation problem, its about 1500 acres, probably 1100 acres is ag fields.I can hunt (Doe only) with a bow, BP or shotgun. Ive done it before over the years and if anyones ever done it, killing Does before June results in a very, well, lets just say for me, uncomfortable field dressing experience seeing unborn fawns squirming around, and having to kill them after field dressing. And if you make a bad shot which does happen, its even worse for obvious reasons. I have no problem killing deer, or any animal Im legally allowed to hunt, I also believe in helping the local farmers out, gives me an opportunity to hunt deer 9 months out of the year, but I also want to make sure every shot I take at a live animal is done as responsibly and humanely as possible. However, on the other hand, once the fawns are born, and you take Momma out, now you have 2 or 3 spots sitting there looking at you. I know its a good way to really help control the deer population, but I was wondering what some of your thoughts are on this.

OklaBowhunter 03-28-2009 06:10 AM

RE: Crop damage hunting

Never shot them during the off season times. We have dmap permits from the state and harvest alot of does on my lease. It sure helps getting the ratio down.

Tribal 03-28-2009 06:33 AM

Personally, I don't think I coulddo it. I know I am a softy, but I can imagine it's kind of like killing 2 birds with one stone when it comes to population control.

Kamil 03-28-2009 06:38 AM

I don't think I would be able to do it. You kill the doe then there is a fawn or two left there to suffer and die. Not my cup of tea.

Rickmur 03-28-2009 09:09 AM

I participated in it a few years back and didn't care for it either plus it was awful hot as it was a little later than what you will be hunting.

Marylandbowhunter 03-28-2009 09:58 AM

I did it for 7 years in southern AA co . It got to be more like work then fun when I first started doing it . I killed my fare share of does with fawns inside. what could you do just leave them in the for the buzzards and move on.

GMMAT 03-28-2009 12:03 PM

Andy:

No need to gut the animal to quarter it. Flame away....but all you'd be missing out on is the inner TL's (and some people have a method of getting those, sans field dressing).

That's exactly what I'd do.

Good luck....and forgive my ignorance....but what's a BP?

twildasin 03-28-2009 12:32 PM

Jeff I think the (BP) is black powder??
Andy,
Great way to manage the herd but I would never do it! I have had the oppurtunity to do it and turned it down. I do not want to see those babies and I do not want to know I am killing a mother than they are suffering till I kill them! Just not my cup of tea bud! Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

peakrut 03-28-2009 12:33 PM

Andy once I seen the fawns inside that doe it would be over for me.
I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

T

Wolfpack 03-28-2009 01:02 PM

I probably couldn't do it. Even early in bow season when fawns still have spots I try to take a doe w/o any fawns, even though I know that by that time the fawns will be ok if mama is gone.