Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sika hunter?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sika hunter?

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Stonewall308

I am considering trying to hunt them this fall on MD public property.
Black water refuge is the place to be. Won't tell you the section though
I hunted very close to this area- the property/our club was on parts of the Blackwater River and a few miles from the refuge. Before my time (when I was a baby), My father belonged to another hunt club that butted up agaiinst the refuge.

As a young kid/young teen My dad used to drive me over to the refuge during mid day so I could take pics of the big concentrations of geese and ducks. I saw one of the biggest live whitetails I've ever seen near that refuge too. I thought my dad was going to kill us both when he screeched to a halt and pulled off into a ditch to gawk at the thing feeding along a field edge.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: JeffB

I hunted very close to this area- the property/our club was on parts of the Blackwater River and a few miles from the refuge. Before my time (when I was a baby), My father belonged to another hunt club that butted up agaiinst the refuge.

As a young kid/young teen My dad used to drive me over to the refuge during mid day so I could take pics of the big concentrations of geese and ducks. I saw one of the biggest live whitetails I've ever seen near that refuge too. I thought my dad was going to kill us both when he screeched to a halt and pulled off into a ditch to gawk at the thing feeding along a field edge.
It seems you either hate or love the BW refuge swamps. I got buddies who swear they are never going back to the swamp. Some that dread it every year we go. But the place is so alive. Big neutria swimming around. Snakes everywhere. Bald eagles flying, huge delmarvia fox squirrels big ascats (endangered so don't dare shoot em). You got little elk to top it off. More waterfowl than I have ever seen. Love the place.

You ought to make it back down sometime.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks. I am going to go over there and scout in out a little in the summer. It will really depend on whether I have enough time but I will definitely do it one of these years. Right now I have about 10 other things I want to involving hunting-related stuff including building a stand on my grandparents property
Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry-Nice Sika.I hunted them in Md. a couple times-love to hear them bugle-if you didin't know better, you would think your hunting Elk in Colorado (just the bugle). Be prepared to do battle with the skeeters.

My son took a Sika on a texas bowhunt-different for sure. Different sub species.

Blackwater is the place.

I have a friend that lives in Md. & takes them on a regular basis.
Good Luck. I liked the 1st week of Oct..