Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot the Monster >

Shot the Monster

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot the Monster

Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot the Monster

So I stopped in at the shop Friday night to do a little shooting. I got a text earlier in the day from the shop manager telling me the new Monster was in. I love my Hoyt, but just had to shoot this bow. I mean how could I not at least shoot it with all the hype that has surrounded the release of this bow? As I said, I love my Hoyt's, but I also know that Matthews has put out some great products, such as the DXT. I had been saying that I thought that Matthews was taking a step backwards by getting into the speed game, getting away from what made them a great bow company. I am man enough to admit that I was wrong.

Here is my honest opinion of the Monster.

Speed - As fast as all the hype built it up to be. The DL was 29" set at 63lbs, we shot a 420 grain arrow at 332fps.

Draw - IMHO, the draw on this bow is really smooth, which surprised me since it was a speed bow. However, there was a very noticeable "drop" into the valley, which I did not care for. Overall, the draw was so much better that I would have thought for a bow capable of these kinds of speeds.

Vibration - I am not going to say that it had none, because it did. However, you have to remember we are talking about a bow capable of shooting 350+fps. What I will say it was so much less that what I expected. I was expecting for the bow to want to jump out of my hand, which it did not. In fact, it held very nice. As I stated, there was some hand shock with the release, but not as much as one would think and less than a lot of other bows that are not capable of these speeds.

All-in-all, IMHO this bow lives up to the hype. The extreme speed does not interest me has much as it interests others, so I can safely say there will not be one in my house any time soon. For those that are looking to go fast, this is the bow to do it with and do it without losing the shootability.

I feel very dirty now, so I am going to go shoot my Hoyt for a bit and ask for forgiveness.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot the Monster

Good report although my wallet did not want to hear this.By the way what was the price?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:42 AM
N2D

Good review KB
Old 03-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been getting a few orders for Suppressors for the Monster.The MeanVshould tame down some of that Vibration

Dan
Old 03-16-2009, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

Good report although my wallet did not want to hear this.By the way what was the price?
$810 at North American Outfitters, $850 for the all black version.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Banned

I shot it too and was impressed. Awesome bow.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

I'm glad to hear it is having good reviews!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot it the other day, and can honestly say that I have never had so much trouble pulling back a 70lb bow, lol. I can draw any other 70lb'er, but I had to grunt with the Monster. Other than that, it was an awesome shooting bow. It was FAST!!! The shot was extremely smooth. I did not feel any hand shock or vibration after the shot, but everyone's opinion will be a little different. It was pretty loud, but it's a speed bow that has an IBO of over 350fps, what can you expect....

Overall, I was very impressed with it...everyone should go shoot it just to see what it's like....
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If that was tough on your shoulder go try an x-force.. lol..
Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I still say that if you have trouble pulling any # bow back at your draw length then that poundage is too much for you and you need to move down in weight. 70# is only 70# you may pull it longer but it's still only 70#

Dan

Quick Reply: Shot the Monster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.