HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shot the Monster
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 PM
kickin_buck
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot the Monster

So I stopped in at the shop Friday night to do a little shooting. I got a text earlier in the day from the shop manager telling me the new Monster was in. I love my Hoyt, but just had to shoot this bow. I mean how could I not at least shoot it with all the hype that has surrounded the release of this bow? As I said, I love my Hoyt's, but I also know that Matthews has put out some great products, such as the DXT. I had been saying that I thought that Matthews was taking a step backwards by getting into the speed game, getting away from what made them a great bow company. I am man enough to admit that I was wrong.

Here is my honest opinion of the Monster.

Speed - As fast as all the hype built it up to be. The DL was 29" set at 63lbs, we shot a 420 grain arrow at 332fps.

Draw - IMHO, the draw on this bow is really smooth, which surprised me since it was a speed bow. However, there was a very noticeable "drop" into the valley, which I did not care for. Overall, the draw was so much better that I would have thought for a bow capable of these kinds of speeds.

Vibration - I am not going to say that it had none, because it did. However, you have to remember we are talking about a bow capable of shooting 350+fps. What I will say it was so much less that what I expected. I was expecting for the bow to want to jump out of my hand, which it did not. In fact, it held very nice. As I stated, there was some hand shock with the release, but not as much as one would think and less than a lot of other bows that are not capable of these speeds.

All-in-all, IMHO this bow lives up to the hype. The extreme speed does not interest me has much as it interests others, so I can safely say there will not be one in my house any time soon. For those that are looking to go fast, this is the bow to do it with and do it without losing the shootability.

I feel very dirty now, so I am going to go shoot my Hoyt for a bit and ask for forgiveness.