Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Filming my own hunts question >

Filming my own hunts question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Filming my own hunts question

Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Filming my own hunts question

I know this should not go here but I have gotten the best responses from this part of the forums. My question is this, how should I mount my camera to my bow so that I can get the best video of the shot? My camera is not very big and I will link photos of it for you guys to see, but I just cannot figure out the best way to mount it. I was thinking about mounting it to a stabilizer somehow but not to sure. Any advice on how I can set this up would be great. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Filming my own hunts question

i have a Deer Ridge deer bow and gun mount that i use
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Typical Buck

i have tried shots whith the camera on the stabliser but the footage just after the shot is all shakey and no good i would mount off the bow if possible i bought a small digital camera and clip it to the peak of my cap works well
Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Would any of you recommend using a tree arm for filming my own hunts instead of attaching it to the bow? Or is this to much motion trying to move it around when u have deer coming in? For those of you who film your own hunts by yourself how do you go about it, I could really use some good ideas if anyone is willing to share. I don't want to spend a huge sum of money either for a camera arm, I just want something that is easy to use and can get good views of the shot before, during and after. Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The tree arm is the way to go.I got my buck on film last year mounted to my bow and it sucked. If you have some Idea of which way the deer are going to come from then just point it in that direction. If not make sur you have good cover or are high.

ORIGINAL: joemr1288

Would any of you recommend using a tree arm for filming my own hunts instead of attaching it to the bow? Or is this to much motion trying to move it around when u have deer coming in? For those of you who film your own hunts by yourself how do you go about it, I could really use some good ideas if anyone is willing to share. I don't want to spend a huge sum of money either for a camera arm, I just want something that is easy to use and can get good views of the shot before, during and after. Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Check out huntingfootage.com look up any of the filming by Bowana, or Wildworks they will show what you can do with a camera arm. Bowana often has a second camera set up to catch him taking the shot and you can see him making small adjustments to the camera before the shot.

Looking forward to seeing some footage from you.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: joemr1288

I would suggest a camera arm. You canmake them without paying much or any money at all.
Look around the house for scrap steel. Check out my website... http://deerboneoutdoors.jumbofx.com/
when you get to the page look on the far left on that side bar. Those are all the things i've made so far.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 AM

To the stabilizer.

If you're filming yourself, this is the easiest way to capture the shot on film.

Here is the predicament-

filming yourself with a tree arm will give you the best B-roll, pre shot footage and post shot footage. The problem with tree arm mounted cameras on a self filmed hunt is this; when that animal comes in, you will have a heck of a time deciding "do I get ready for shooting, or filming" ? You'll be trying to line the animal up in the frame, then you'll draw your bow- by that time, the animal will be out of the frame. Trust me, it's a pain in the butt.

using a bow mounted camera limits the quality of camera you can use and also the footage you will be able to get, because your bow and camera are now one(trust me, not easier...just easier to capture the kill shot because your line of aim is the cameras line of focus).