HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Crossbows aloud during bow season poll (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/288165-crossbows-aloud-during-bow-season-poll.html)

ABarOfSoap 03-02-2009 12:41 PM

Crossbows aloud during bow season poll

How would you feel if your state added (or already has) crossbows during bow season?

I for one like xbows, and wouldent mind them during regular season, but if they were added to the bow only season i would be very mad... Weather you use a trad or compound, i think xbows during bow season is just wrong. What do you think?

SteveBNy 03-02-2009 01:06 PM

RE: Crossbows aloud during bow season poll

I think if a modern, scoped, compondwith 99% let off shooting 350 fps with a trigger release is allowed to be shot hidden in a pop up blind, then letting crossbows in is a given.

Steve

hatchet jack 03-02-2009 01:14 PM

They just passed them here in PA to be used in the regular Archery season[:@] You could use them in the Special Regs area's for the last few years though [ with a scope] The new Regs in PA for Xbows say you CAN'T use a scope on the Xgun, LOL!!!!! open sites ONLY!!!!LOL!!!:D The PGC is one crazy Dude!!!

Hatchet Jack

Greg / MO 03-02-2009 01:33 PM

Only people with verified disabilities should be allowed to use them; otherwise, they should be used along with all the other guns -- in gun season.

The only difference between a crossbow and any other single-shot gun is choice of caliber. You've got .44 Rem Mag, 30-06, .270 and "bolt".

virginiashadow 03-02-2009 01:47 PM

Crossbows have been allowed during archery season for several years here in Virginia. It doesn't bother me one bit if someone chooses to use a crossbow to hunt.

MeanV2 03-02-2009 02:33 PM

It really doesn't matter to me. I think many make a Big deal out of nothing.;)

Dan

MOhunter46 03-02-2009 03:05 PM

It dosen't effect me if other people use crossbows, so i dont care.

SteveBNy 03-02-2009 03:07 PM

The only difference between a crossbow and any other single-shot gun is choice of caliber.
I would have to think use of gunpwder as a propellant would have to be considered a difference.
A catagory changing one!

Steve

SteveBNy 03-02-2009 04:09 PM

From another website by permissiom of the poster.

Is a crossbow a bow?

In the majority of the world the answer would be yes, they are *archery equipment.*

Only in the United States do you get some bowhunters and bowhunting organizations that don't think that. Of course they are "protecting their own".

THE NAA - the OLDEST archery organization have recognized crossbows for about 60 years. The International Bowhunters Organization has had a crossbow division for several years AND growing every year. THE NFAA now recognizes crossbows at its VEGAS championships. Atlantic City had crossbow divisions for years, that shoot was recently acquired by the NFAA, but its crossbow division is several decades old.

The Archery Trade Association and its predecessor, the Archery Manufacturers Organization recognizes crossbows as archery equipment.

So does most retail dealers- almost every shop that sells archery equipment and guns have crossbows in the archery department, not the firearm counter. Go into Bass Pro or Cabela’s or Dicks and see where the crossbows are kept.

Every archery catalog I get from the retailers has crossbows in it. Bow and Arrow Magazine carries crossbow advertising.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and all state wildlife agencies, crossbows are archery equipment:

- Crossbows and accessories that attach to crossbows as well as crossbow arrows are defined in the Internal Revenue Code that pertains to the archery excise tax.

- The US Fish & Wildlife Service receives the archery excise tax funds - of which about 10% are from crossbows - from the IRS and allocates those dollars to the state wildlife agencies through the Pittman Robertson program.

- State wildlife agencies receive archery excise tax dollars in amounts determined by a formula that includes the number of licensed hunters (including all those who hunt with crossbows) and the area of the state.

Regardless of what we think, the government treats crossbows like archery equipment.

Now with compound bows - The International Olympic Committee doesn't recognize compounds as archery equipment. The PAN AMERICAN games don't recognize compounds as archery equipment. Neither does some of those ultra elitist traditional heads up the butt groups.

Why have crossbows been welcomed at NAA sanctioned shoots many years longer then the compound bow?

Several European countries don’t recognize any archery gear for any hunting purpose. Thanks to bowhunters in England that complained that the crossbows were “inhumane” After a government study they ended up banning all archery hunting as “inhumane”.

I don't think we want to head down that path..

A crossbow propels an arrow from the fastly forward moving string powered by a set of bent limbs. The trajectory of the arrow is VERY similar to that of an arrow launched by a compound bow. On the end of that arrow is the same broadhead that is used by any other hunting archer. That arrow kills that deer from lung collapse and blood loss.

Sounds like archery to me.

hunt91 03-02-2009 04:34 PM

i belive that crossbows should be allowed for use during allbow and gunseasons by anyone. i dont care how anyone else harvests a deer be it with a bow, gun, or crossbow. i do belive that if a record book buck should be harvested however, there should be an * next to the hunters name indicateing that it was taken during archery season with a means other than a compound bow, long bow, or recurve.