Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it true about Mathews cams? >

Is it true about Mathews cams?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it true about Mathews cams?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Is it true about Mathews cams?

Personally I hate draw specific cams for one reason.......sometimes its harder to resell. Also, if I want to give the bow to a member of my family later on I usually would have to get the cams changed.

In my experience from the dealers in my area they generally make you buy a new set of cams and won't swap cams on a bow that has been shot.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

my dealer swaps them out.. just make sure you get a DXT specific cam
Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its more efficient because the cam will roll over specifically for your draw length and will build its pull strength at the appropriate rate based on your DL...
if that makes sense..
Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Its more efficient because the cam will roll over specifically for your draw length and will build its pull strength at the appropriate rate based on your DL...
if that makes sense..

lol..uh...a little bit.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

if that makes sense..
That's what they preach![8D]LOL!

I think the fact it's a cheaper way to go for manufacturing may have more to do with it.

Dan
Old 02-18-2009, 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

if that makes sense..
That's what they preach![8D]LOL!

I think the fact it's a cheaper way to go for manufacturing may have more to do with it.

Dan
It only makes sense that bows will work best for a draw length specific cam. That's why people find that with modules, the lower on the module you are...the slightly less performance you will get at peak. But I agree, the difference is likely so slim in todays bows it might not be much different.

Hoyt went from modules to draw specific cams, and this year went back to modules.

IMO, it has more to do with ease for dealers than anything. Dealers would have to order 5-7 bows of the same model to stock all necessary draw lengths, where as with modules only 2-3 bows would cover any DL. Helps them keep bows in stock for ANY customer, without HUMONGOUS overhead...not to mention having all the bows left over at the end of the year when the next years line ups come out and they have to offload them at discounted prices to make room. Draw specific cams leave dealers with two choices, having HUGE overhead and stocking alot of bows, or keeping only the 29" 70# cookie cutter bows stock and making most customers wait to order theirs in...possibly loosing a customer who is buying on a whim and wants a bow NOW. Really leaves them in a predicament.

Modules are for the dealers, not the shooters. (not that they are bad for the shooters)
Old 02-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Anyone wanting to swap cams on a bow they bought used or the shop wont do it for you.....remember, you dont HAVE to keep yours! You can buy a set of cams on AT or somewhere, then offload yours for roughly the same price. Basically a free, or really cheap swap, for the cost of your headache of going through the process of finding some then selling yours.

ATs classifieds are a goldmine of archery gear, both new and used.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

The difference in effeciency believe me is slight. It's not only the dealers it's convenient for but also the owners.

Ever here of anyone needing to fine tune their draw a half inch?

Or ready to sell a bow but no Cams to fit the prospective buyer? It doesn't make the New buyer real eager to lay down $$$either.

I think thebottom line is it's cheaper tomanufacture Draw specific cams than module adjustable Cams, but then I'm sure No one would inconvenience their dealers or customers to save a few $$

Call it however you want. It is what it is

Dan
Old 02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Ever here of anyone needing to fine tune their draw a half inch?
Speaking of that... kdsberman, you better make sure you know what your "mathews draw length" is before you buy one. Get measured on the specific bow you plan to purchase - they tend to run a tad long. You might befine tuning from the start with a new cam if you don't.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

On 1 cam bows,draw specific cams are necessary to achieve level nock travel.

Dan,draw specific cams are more efficient than you might think.I am losing about 10 fps on my Am 35 because I am not shooting it at it's peak draw length(30")(I could tweak some more speed but chose not to)Your BT's do the same,everyone I have run numbers for are slower than what they would shoot with draw length specific cams.Specific draw cams almost always hit their speed rating at lower draw lengths where as adjustable sytems do not.

All my Hoyts have always shot faster,by quite a bit at lower draw lengths than adjustable models.

Hoyt has made adjustable draw length cams that have specific draw lengths to them which imo,is the best way to go about it.Basically draw length specific tunability and efficiency with the adjustability of module systems.AND,this is not cheaper to do.

I basically have seen roughly a 5 fps loss per inch (from 30")when the cam is adjustable verses a draw specific cam,or one that is designed for specific draw length.

Quick Reply: Is it true about Mathews cams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.