Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A archery black eye, literally!! >

A archery black eye, literally!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A archery black eye, literally!!

Old 04-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A archery black eye, literally!!

I can' t believe this happened to me, much less writing to you all about it! But I actually dotted my eye shooting today, not once, but TWICE! Let me say it didn' t do myself a bit of good on this release aid thing. Some may recall about month ago I wrote asking several questions about switching from fingers to a release. aid. I' d been shooting fingers for at least 14yrs, tried a release here, and there. But I wanted to make a good honest effort, and see if I liked it better. I went with the Tru-Fire excaliber glove. I liked the relax trigger mode option. Anyways after playing around with it in the house, putting a string loop on. I went out today to do some serious shooting. Right off, the relax trigger mode started malfunctioning. When I released my finger from the trigger the jaws wouldn' t open everytime. I had to jerk it to fire. So I switched to push trigger mode, still wanting to shoot with the release. Took 3-4 shoots no problem. Next shot I began to draw, and wham the release let go at half pull, and I punched myself right in the eye, ouch. Pissed me right off. I thought maybe at first it was me, and I accidentally hit the trigger. Next shot I was very careful, made sure jaws were shut on the loop, drew with my trigger finger not even near the trigger, wham! It does it again, and I punched myself in the eye again!!!! I was so darn pissed I took off the release, and threw it across the yard. Put my bow away, and said thats it. I' m a permanent fingers shooter!!!!!!
Later I called my brother about the ordeal. He was laughing so hard over the story I' m sure I' ll never live it down. After that I figured why waste $60 on this release. I' m going to send it back to Tru-Fire, and see what they find with it. But I' ll be hard pressed to get the nerve to go through that again, but knowing me I will! Oh, and my eye its ok except for the shiner[X(]
Old 04-18-2003, 09:05 PM

Default RE: A archery black eye, literally!!

Try a Scott release. After shooting fingers for 26 years, I bought a new bow and started to shoot release. It took a while to get used to it and everything that went along with it, i.e. new anchor point, etc. I have been shooting one for 6 years now and love it. I like a lite trigger and this one is lite and crisp.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:56 PM

Don' t give up Buck, you' ll learn to love them when you find one that works like it' s supposed to. I have shot the Tru-Fire wrist strap Excaliber' s for more that 10 years and have never had a misfire or wore the serving. Your' s must be defective.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

That' s pretty funny! I ALWAYS put my finger behind the trigger when I draw the bow. It will save you some embarrassment and not to mention maybe some limbs. You might want to look at the Tru Fire hurricane glove. The trigger has a spring behind it that closes the jaw automaticly when you relax the trigger. I have this release as well as the excaliper glove and the hurricane is an excelent release, very smooth, no loading of the trigger (getting heavier at full draw), and very comfortable.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don' t feel rained on, BuckAlley. I' ve seen more than a few guys knock themselves plumb cookoo like that. I' ve seen ' em bust their noses and knock teeth clean out. One guy had a glass jaw and scored a KO on his ignorant self. The release went off as soon as he hit peak draw on that 80 pounder and his fist whopped him right on the point of the chin. He was clean OUT for about 5 minutes. It was the 4th or 5th time his release had pre-fired that day and he just kept on shooting it instead of pulling out his spare. It' s been some 18 years and he gets reminded of it regularly. Especially when it' s his turn to buy drinks.

Next time you decide to play with a release, don' t draw directly toward your anchor. Draw to your shoulder. When you' re at full draw, then - and only then - bring your hand up to your anchor. That way, when the release malfunctions (and they ALL fail, eventually - some sooner than others), you' ll hit your chest or shoulder instead of popping yourself in the eye or busting your own self in the chops.

But do send that release back. My TruFire has always functioned perfectly in both modes.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:57 AM

A few hours and a few shots is nowhere near a realistic training period, and definitely does not satisfy your promise " But I wanted to make a good honest effort, and see if I liked it better."

Considering you have always been a finger shooter, the " glove release" might not have been the best choice for your first release. Perhaps you should have gone with a model that has a wrist strap and a longer barrel.

Until you became familiar with using a release, the wrist strap would help in pulling your string without putting your fingers to near the trigger, and the longer barrel would help keep the trigger out in front until the pull of the string put a stronger load on the trigger.

Put a steak on your eye and get back out there!
Old 04-20-2003, 04:36 AM

I SHOT FINGERS FOR 15 YRS AND THEN CHANGED. TAKES A LITTLE TIME TO FEEL COMFORTABLE, DONT GIVE UP. YOU WILL ENJOY THE END RESULTS. GO WITH THE SCOTT RELEASE.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:16 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

You are killing me.LOL
Ok Im alright now. Brings back some fun times.
5 years ago a buddy and myself are hunting on a wheat field. I have a tri pod and he has made a ground blind.
First day we see lots of deer but all does. At lunch he is taking a couple of shots and starts to adjust his release and looses a spring. After a short search and a few choise words he gets his backup and without trying it we go back to the field.
We had not been in our blinds more than a hr when the does start coming out. Then about 45 min. later a nice buck comes out but stayes about 60 yards from him but is slowly moving his direction.
Now I can see him start to draw his bow (80lb) when the deer gets about 40 yards out but then just at peak draw his arrow shoots off one way, his bow flies up and he flips out of the blind and is laying on the ground. I, being a conserned bud. am realy ticked he spooked all the deer. lol I watch to see if he is moving and where the deer went. After just a few min. and a couple of photo' s later (Im going to get somthing out of this) I go check on him, I mean the deer are gone so what the heck.
I know he is alive by the sounds that he is making and by almost being hit by a flying release that came from his direction.
He is still on the ground but there is blood all over his face. I have determined what has happened but have to ask, " Why did you spook all the deer" ! Well I cant tell you what he said and I am not sure it is possible to do anyway.
Bottom line is that at peak draw his release (that he had not used) failed and hit him right in the nose and knocked him out and out of the blind. More photos taken. More words and jestures when I ask if he hit the deer. LOL and no he did not even come close.

Test your equipment and use it MANY times before taking it out for the real thing. This includes all equipment and backups.

I still send him a card with one photo on his birthday which is 2 days before opening of bow season. Being a good friend I cant wast a good photo.
Rick
Old 04-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. Hope everything works out and you can get the release to work for you.

But your story reminds me of a couple years ago when my brother-in-law tried shooting a bow. He was using fingers and the first couple times the arrow flew just fine. Then he went to full draw and let go of the bow and held his anchor point. Yep, the bow came back and smacked him in the face. He turned around to look at me with his glasses sitting cockeyed on his face and I almost peed myself I laughed so hard. But not to be discouraged, he tried it again. Let loose a couple of fine shots, and then....he did it again. Bloodied his nose. I had to make him stop...he was killing me! All he could say is, I sometimes don' t know which end to release! He' s a banker if that tells you anything. Hasn' t picked up a bow since. I' m laughing my a$$ off just thinking about it. Good thing he wasn' t seriously hurt.

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:50 PM

I feel your pain, literally. I have this release that I have had for 15 yrs and it has
always worked great. This year I started shooting with a loop really liked it. But, after about 3 month of hunting and practice the batting that is stuffed in the center of the loop material broke free and the loop lost its bulk. This allowed the loop to flatten and my old release has just enough gap to allow it through. Pow!! right in the nose and two lost arrows.

I laugh about it now, but keep a closer check on the loop. Im going to get a different release this spring.

Keep trying with the release, it will improve your accuracy, and when that happens you' ll wonder why it took so long to convert.

Quick Reply: A archery black eye, literally!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.