Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A archery black eye, literally!! >

A archery black eye, literally!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A archery black eye, literally!!

Old 04-20-2003, 05:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A archery black eye, literally!!

I would advise you to pull the bow back in a manner that would not allow you to hit yourself inthe face.

What I would guess happened is the loop was pulling through the Trufires jaws.A lot of caliper head releases will do this and although Scott makes an excellent release,their caliper heads are one of the worst about pulling through,especially over time.You wouldn' t think they could pull through by looking at them but they do,trust me on this one.I would suggest going with a Scott Mongoose or a Truball caliper.You will never have to worry about these pulling through.The Mongoose would probably make the transition from fingers to a release a little easier.It only has 1 jaw that moves and allows you to put the release right on your face for a good solid anchor.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys I got tears in my eyes, laughing at some of your stories. I e-mailed Tru-fire, and waitng for a reply. On the loop thing I suppose its possible the loop slipped through the jaws. But a friend of mine shoots the same exact release, and string loop I have. He' s never had any problems with his. I' ll see what Tru-Fire finds out with it. If anything the relax trigger mode is definitly not working right. Thanks again guys!!!
Old 04-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha. sorry[:' (] i am not bowhuntin yet but this summer am purchasing one. i think i am going to just start right off with a release. but will have to see how things go. hope you stick with it.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

It looks like they have addressed the situation of pulling through with a loop,atleast they say they have on their website.That release has a sensitivity screw on it and it is quite possible that it is set too light and that will also cause what you are battling.

Good luck with it and I hope you keep all your teeth while getting it worked out.[8D]
Old 04-21-2003, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Scott makes an excellent release,their caliper heads are one of the worst about pulling through,especially over time
I' ve shot Scott releases for probably 12 years. I' ve NEVER had that happen.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got a good chuckle out of this one as well. (No offense intended) but it sounded like a 3 stooges movie.....clip on, draw back, punch in face...clip on, draw back, punch in face.... I expected pictures darn it!

Glad to hear you are ok. I do hope that Trufire takes care of you. I have been using their releases for many years now and have had zero problems with their druability or functionality. I hope the next one works out better regardless of which one you choose.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a tru-fire two years ago. The first day I used it, it released early, about 3/4 draw. The first time I thought it might have been me. The very next shot, I made sure I had my finger behind the trigger and it still released early. Both times it almost tore my elbow off. I took it back and got a scott and havn' t had any problems since. It hurt my elbow so bad that I still wince when I pull my bow back, scared that thing is going to let go too early.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I have a brand new TruFire Hurricane and, yes, this happened to me as well. I lost two arrows as a result, but I didn' t hit myself hard enough to get a black eye.

I solved the problem with a little adjustment on the sensitivity screw. No more problems!!!
Old 04-21-2003, 12:45 PM

Any release with a trigger adjustment needs to be set to handle the draw weight of a given bow. To set the trigger weight, you can run a piece of cord through 90 - 100 lbs of free weights and then tie a piece of loop material (in a loop) on the end of the cord. Set your release trigger really light and keep adjusting until you can lift the weights off the floor without it misfiring. It is a very good idea to put some thread lock on the adjustment screw as some of them can work loose over time and cause it to start misfiring.

I' ve also had lint (yes the kind in your pockets) cause a release to misfire, believe it or not. Not sure where it even came from, but my release misfired on me a couple of times at a 3D shoot. On inspection, I found a tiny ball of lint had made it' s way between the calipers so they could not close all the way. Luckily for me, the first time I only caught a glancing blow on the chin. The second time, I was making a point to draw away from my face.

Quick Reply: A archery black eye, literally!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.