Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Junk Broadheads? >

Junk Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Junk Broadheads?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Junk Broadheads?

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Back in the 70's I shot satelites. Those junky razors busted all the time. It made gutting a challange knowing there was chunk of razor blades floating around somewhere inside the deer. The broadhead itself bent real easy and I even had the threads snap off.
Late 80's I shot the Sattelites. Still awful then too.

I then went with Nap Thunderheads, great head, hated the assembly so I went to Muzzy, used them well into the 90's and in 2001 I used the Snyper for the first time. Between them and Muzzy, it's not broke ain't fixing it though I've played with a few others.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

What were those... Eastman 100grn fixed blade from Wal-Mart? Small frame.. flew great, blades would shatter in foam....

Those, or the original Crimson Talons, before they re-strengthened the blades or whatever.
The EXACT 2 broadheads I was going to mention
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Spike

Tried the wasp cam-lok's when I first took up bowhunting...broke two blades just shooting foam,
Old 02-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Agree or not ,my worst heads were the 3 blade Rage heads when they first came out. They wouldn't lock right. If you somehow got them to lock, they wouldn't open very easily. I gave them to my neighbor to try. Then [after talking to a few other guys that had the same trouble] I bought my neighbor a pack of Rocky Mountain Snyper XP3 heads and begged him not to shoot the Rage at a deer. They might have improved but you still can't run fast enough to give me a set.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: BlackFive782

Muzzys.
I've used Muzzys as well as dozens of other brands. I would not say Muzzys are the Best head out there, on the other hand they are far from Junk!

I always say for the money Muzzy is one of the best choices out there and would easily be in my top 10 heads to use.

Dan
And now I'll agree with you Dan-

I cannot imagine anyone calling Muzzy's junk. They have had plenty of "less than sharp" blade issues over the years and you can mess one up if you screw the tip on too tight, but Muzzys are a mainstay in this industry for a reason!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:51 AM

magic & Rob
It wasn't but a year ago I was looking through my box of hunting and fishing things fromyears gone byand came across my old satellites. They had a tiny bit of rust. That blue/black finish was unique.Reminded me of the oldGillette two sided razor bladesas far their thickness and brittleness.
As faras new heads in the not so great department I would have to say the Cabela FX3.Last year when looking intogetting away from expendables I tried many fixed bade heads.Many times when pulling theFX3 out of the target there was nothing but an empty ferrule at the endof the arrow.Ken
Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote here for the old Satellites. Back in the late eighties and early nineties, my father-in-law lived about 10 min. from the Satellite factory. We used to get all the heads and bladeswe wanted for freebut even at that price, they weren't worth it. We did find some success mixing different blades with different ferruls and found one pretty good combination. I remember you could get 500 replacement blades in this neat little box, all individually wrapped. Butthey bent so easily, it only took about 2 seasons to go through all 500 blades. I don't remember what we did mix and match to finally get a decent flying head though.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

The issue with Muzzy's has always been sharpness not construction. They're tough heads but need a little attention out of the package. Theysure haveaccounted for a lot of dead animals over the years.

Dan
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Ranked in order
1) Slick trick
2) Rage 2 blade
3) Nap Nitron
4) NAP Thunder Head
5) Tri- Lock 100 grn

6) G5 New Tekkan- Not the tekkan 2, but the one that came out this year, the black one. Broke blades shooting into a block 4X4 after 5 shots. I did not think it flew all that well, I was testing slick tricks and rages and Nitrons at the same time.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to see some pictures of these junk heads.

Quick Reply: Junk Broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.