Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Junk Broadheads? >

Junk Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Junk Broadheads?

Old 02-15-2009, 03:56 AM
N2D

Default RE: Junk Broadheads?

The old Satelites gets my vote too. Blades would not stay on for squat!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:20 AM
bigcountry

Yep, those satallites sucked. I can't remember the brand, but it was in the 1988 timeframe, but somebody sold these serrated (steak knife) broadheads. I thought they were cool looking and ended up not penetrating at all due to the serrations.

But even though those were bad, worst is 1998 cabelas brand expandables. They would destroy your arrow even if you put a washer on them like a BAR system.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Puckett's Bloodtrailers/Punchcutters were far worse than of those old WASP or Sattelite heads. Old shop I used to work in was one of if not THE first shop to carry the Pucketts' (Riley was from the area- what a Con-man). I cannot tell you the # of failed heads and irrate customers stories I witnessed. My buddy bought some and lost a perfectly lung-punched deer. We found the deer a few days later hunting elsewhere and like everyone else's story- the thing never opened, and the bloodtrail was virtually nothing.-just like shooting the deer with a fieldpoint. The tips would just break off, the bands varied in thickness (often too thick), the blades would shear off on hide or minimal bone(cheap metal), or the screws would pull out, or the mechanism would clog with hide/hair/fat/meat at the initial impact and never open. Totally craptacular.

Gametracker (now Eastman Outdoors) has made some real crap over the years too.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JeffB

Puckett's Bloodtrailers/Punchcutters were far worse than of those old WASP or Sattelite heads. Old shop I used to work in was one of if not THE first shop to carry the Pucketts' (Riley was from the area- what a Con-man). I cannot tell you the # of failed heads and irrate customers stories I witnessed. My buddy bought some and lost a perfectly lung-punched deer. We found the deer a few days later hunting elsewhere and like everyone else's story- the thing never opened, and the bloodtrail was virtually nothing.-just like shooting the deer with a fieldpoint. The tips would just break off, the bands varied in thickness (often too thick), the blades would shear off on hide or minimal bone(cheap metal), or the screws would pull out, or the mechanism would clog with hide/hair/fat/meat at the initial impact and never open. Totally craptacular.

Gametracker (now Eastman Outdoors) has made some real crap over the years too.
Jeff, Those are definitely the 2 worst mechanicals I've ever toyed with.

I agree on Eastman's also!

Dan
Old 02-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

I think they where called Koplin Twisters
Old 02-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Pretty lucky in the fact I never bought junk...I shot Bear razorheads for 40 million years, than went to Muzzys, one season with spitfires, and then with Slicktricks
Yep, I shot Bear Razorheads for years myself. I never really had a real bad BH but I shot a few BH's that weren't nearly as good as others. Satellite Titans were probably the worst BH I've shot. The other Satellite BH's I shot (Cut on Contact) were very good BH's.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

G5 tekans and crimson talons...nothing good there
Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Muzzys.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BlackFive782

Muzzys.
I've used Muzzys as well as dozens of other brands. I would not say Muzzys are the Best head out there, on the other hand they are far from Junk!

I always say for the money Muzzy is one of the best choices out there and would easily be in my top 10 heads to use.

Dan
Old 02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
I can't remember the brand, but it was in the 1988 timeframe, but somebody sold these serrated (steak knife) broadheads. I thought they were cool looking and ended up not penetrating at all due to the serrations.
Terminator 125!!! My brother bought some but never shot them. I forgot who made them?

I've had good luck with BH's. Started with the Thunderhead, then Rocky Mountain, Muzzy and now Slick Trick's.

The Rocky mountain, I think was called Iron Head? They had a bad habit of coming apart. I couldn't screw them on tight enough to keep the blades in. No qualms with the rest.

Quick Reply: Junk Broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.