Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just watched another ..... >

Just watched another .....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just watched another .....

Old 02-11-2009, 04:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Just watched another .....

great white hunter spook a deer with his Maaa.... Maaaa.... Maaa trying to stop the thing. I swear, the more I watch these guys the more I'm turned off by this practice. Wait and you'll get a shot. Deer, especially BIG deer, don't run blindly through the woods. They take a step or few and stop and look and listen and smell... and then they do it again. This deer was walking at what looked to be no more than 20-25 yards. The first Maaaaaaaa.... put him in a hunch and high stepping out of the country. He finally stopped by at a crappy angle and obviously outside the guys comfort range. He shot right over the top of the antlers. LOL Rookies.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just watched another .....

All the deer that ive shot with my bow I have stopped...none of them have spooked.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the ones I killed have been stopped too, by me. The deer that spook at the first maaaa are deer that have heard it before IMO.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I've NEVER stopped a deer...NEVER. I have shot several walking though.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've stopped several deer, but I'm sure quite a bitless than 50%. Most will stop for a shot if you are patient.

There are times that call for extreme measures though. I was once at full draw and a Buck wasn't going to stop. So....................................

Since I was already on him I just yelled "Hey" He froze, arrow whacked him, dead deer, end of story

Dan
Old 02-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

Deer, especially BIG deer, don't run blindly through the woods. They take a step or few and stop and look and listen and smell... and then they do it again.
Really? This may be true 11 months out of the year and x% of the time during the rut, BUT this is certainly not an absolute for a mature buck in the rut.

Not only in the chase phase, but also in the seek phase, I have had numerous (I don't know the exact count but more than I could count on two hands) bucks over the years move so stinking fast through an area that if you waited for them to stop......well you would still be waiting.

I don't stop a buck as a rule but I have before and will again if the situation calls for it. Is it possible that is is overused by some hunters? Probably so, but to say to never implement the strategy is just as flawed logic as saying to always do it, at least in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Site Buck Guru

I have mixed feelings on this as well. I have successfully stopped deer and have successfully spooked them without getting a shot!

I prefer not to stop them if I don't have to.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to stop deer but I do not feel real confident shooting at a walking deer over about 15 yards. I have stopped deer succesfully with low "uuuuurp" sounds.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maaa......Maaa.....

Got you stop and read it, didn't it?

Sorry David. I couldn't resist.

...never used it myself. I get too focused on everything else to even remember trying to do that.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah.... I thought this was a Mathews bash at first! .....

I've never stopped a deer to shoot that I recall.

Quick Reply: Just watched another .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.