Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just watched another ..... >

Just watched another .....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just watched another .....

Old 02-11-2009, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Just watched another .....

Stopped 1st buckI ever killed with a Maa. Will surely do it again if needed. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose...
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used either that or a small gruntcall on several occasions to stop one.If you have a small window, you don't have many other options. NEVER had one spook.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:50 AM

I am not against stopping one if needed. I stopped two of the does I shot this year, waited them out as long as I could but had to stop em. I would rather let one stop on its own though.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH

I have mixed feelings on this as well. I have successfully stopped deer and have successfully spooked them without getting a shot!

I prefer not to stop them if I don't have to.

Whatever Greg says is the gospel for me ! Have you seen the deer hes took !
Old 02-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

all of the deer that i have encountered wil keep walking and i will do the Maaa but they look right in my direction and turn the other way automaticly
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. Given the opportunity at a walking deer you have 2 choices, If you feel he will NOT stop by himself. If this is a deer from the area and you will get another crack at him, let him walk. If this is the first time he has been in the area as far as you know, better to chance the spook than hit him in a bad place from walking too fast and never finding him. Split second decisions happen all the time, usually nothing goes as planned!
Dandbuck
Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doing the maa.... is an absolute LAST, LAST resort! I'd rather have a deer stop on his own and be calm then stop one and have it be skittish!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did the "maaa" thing in my first couple years of bowhunting a couple years back but no longer if i don't have to. This year it's 5 for 5 with no "maaa"

Why give them a heads up if you don't have to?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

I practice just as much at moving targets as I do stationary ones. Ive scared several deer in previous years trying to stop them, so I figured Id just shoot em walking if I have to. Anyone that thinks its hard to shoot a moving target would really be surprised that its not as hard as youd think. The one thing that would surprise most people is how far in front of the target or deer you really hafta aim. Just throw moving targets into your regular practice routine and you dont need to worry bout spooking em anymore.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bassman417

I practice just as much at moving targets as I do stationary ones. Ive scared several deer in previous years trying to stop them, so I figured Id just shoot em walking if I have to. Anyone that thinks its hard to shoot a moving target would really be surprised that its not as hard as youd think. The one thing that would surprise most people is how far in front of the target or deer you really hafta aim. Just throw moving targets into your regular practice routine and you dont need to worry bout spooking em anymore.
No offense, but I never shoot at a moving deer. Too many uncertainties!

Quick Reply: Just watched another .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.