Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anyone  bow hunt africa >

anyone bow hunt africa

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anyone bow hunt africa

Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Spike

Default anyone bow hunt africa

Ill be going to africa next summer and was woundering what you guys thought about arrow/broadhead selection.I currently shoota 07 gaurdian at 65lbs,28.5 draw length,beaman realtree mfx cut at 29.5 with 100gr montecs.I am planning on shootinggemsbuck,kudu,eland,maybe wildebeast and a few smaller animals.do you think I should try to shoot a heavier arrow,or just a heavier broadhead?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone bow hunt africa

PM Iamyourhuckleberry... Im sure he will have a lot of good information for you
Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're going after some big tuff animals there, and I would say your equipment is adequate witha proper shot. I would say your poundage is a liitle on the light side. If you can get it up btween now and then, I would. If you keep the equipement the same, do not take any shot on these large animals unless you are 100% broadside. Also, keep your shoots under thirty yards. Of the four animals you have mentioned, the eland concerns me the most. Eland are enornous! They have heavy bones and muscles protecting their vitals. I doubt your gear will product a pass through-so don't expect it to happen. Take your shot with maximum penetration in mind (i.e totally broadside).

You are going a long way and, in light of the fact that it costs do-ray-me if you draw one drop ofblood,take the time to test several broadheads, arrows, draw weights, etc before you go. I watched a friend shoot a kudu from twenty yards. The beast was was less than 20 yards and slightly quartering away. His arrow entered six inches behind the bull's shoulder. The arrow's course should have had the shaft exiting in front of the off shoulder. His light arrow was deflected backwards. It exited actually behind the entrance hole. Lucky, he caught the bull's liver. I guess what I'm saying is a light arrow coming from a light weight bow might be a bad thing... If you can get both bow weightand arrow mass up, I would.

Are you going in 2009 or 2010? Where are you going?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I basically shot an identical set-up 3 years ago in SA. Every shot was under 25 yards, and every arrow was covered in red and stuck firmly into the ground 10 yards past the point of impact.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Spike

we will be going in 2010,we will be in the limpopo provence(near botswana)

mark
Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Jake, I really do thinkPure's bow is adequateunder certain conditions. Could you elaborate a little on your shots and animals. When you shot , for example, how were the animals positioned?

I've shot two kudus now with a 76 and 78pound bow. The first bull was exactly 30 yards and slighly quartering (nearly broadside). The second was 26 yards and completely broadside. Neither arrow completely passed through though. On my two gemsbuck, one arrow passed through, the second didn't-one was shot at 27 yards, the other was from 15 yards. I did not get a pass through on my wildebeast nor my eland. Botheland and wildebeastwere standing broadside at 40 yards, and I was using my 78 pound Stingray. Every shotwent through the ribcage and no large bones were struck. I had absolutely no problems on the impala/springbok size game. I was shooting a 440 grain arrow tip with a mechanical broadhead.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mark, when and with whom? I will be there in 2010 as well. Have you booked with an outfitter?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Every shotwent through the ribcage and no large bones were struck.
Heck, with animals that big the ribs ARE big bones.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Spike

we will be with eland safaris in august(13-23)
Old 02-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry
Could you elaborate a little on your shots and animals. When you shot , for example, how were the animals positioned?
My experience: Waterbuck; 22yards, slightly quartering towards me. Warthog; 13 yards, broadside. Blue Wildebeest; 23 yards, slightly quartering away. (All pass throughs; 63lb, 29.5in. arrow, 100gr. Montecs)

Dad's experience: 500lb Lioness; 36 yards quartering away. Kudu; 15 yards quartering away. Impala; 20 yards broadside. (All pass throughs; 70lb, 28.5in. arrow, 100 gr. Montecs.)

Quick Reply: anyone bow hunt africa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.