HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - anyone bow hunt africa
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 AM
iamyourhuckleberry
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone bow hunt africa

You're going after some big tuff animals there, and I would say your equipment is adequate witha proper shot. I would say your poundage is a liitle on the light side. If you can get it up btween now and then, I would. If you keep the equipement the same, do not take any shot on these large animals unless you are 100% broadside. Also, keep your shoots under thirty yards. Of the four animals you have mentioned, the eland concerns me the most. Eland are enornous! They have heavy bones and muscles protecting their vitals. I doubt your gear will product a pass through-so don't expect it to happen. Take your shot with maximum penetration in mind (i.e totally broadside).

You are going a long way and, in light of the fact that it costs do-ray-me if you draw one drop ofblood,take the time to test several broadheads, arrows, draw weights, etc before you go. I watched a friend shoot a kudu from twenty yards. The beast was was less than 20 yards and slightly quartering away. His arrow entered six inches behind the bull's shoulder. The arrow's course should have had the shaft exiting in front of the off shoulder. His light arrow was deflected backwards. It exited actually behind the entrance hole. Lucky, he caught the bull's liver. I guess what I'm saying is a light arrow coming from a light weight bow might be a bad thing... If you can get both bow weightand arrow mass up, I would.

Are you going in 2009 or 2010? Where are you going?