Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anyone  bow hunt africa >

anyone bow hunt africa

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anyone bow hunt africa

Old 02-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone bow hunt africa

Just an observation but cut on contact broad heads instead of mechanicals and a heavier arrow and your going to have better penetration. You kind of proved that or so it seems. Even with 78 lbs a mecheanical strips energy from the arrow to open it. Rage BH are the best I have seen but still take energy to open. Cut on contact take no energy to open. And a heavier arrow takes more to slow down.

Sure it won't shoot as flat out at farther range but you'll probably have a rangefinder and have practiced up for that kind of trip. So what are the downsides of uping the arrow weight and going to a cut on contact?
Jason,

I hear what you're saying. I'll see if I can respond.

First of all, at ranges out to sixty yards, I cannot get the accuracy with fixed blade COC heads like I can with my mechanicals (I used a COC mechanical on a waterbuck. I nearly lost him despite a perfect hit-yes, it was a complete pass thru). For me, accuracy is more important than penetration. I know my bow will send an arrow deep enough if I hit my target in the right spot (it's a confidence thing which comes from shooting a high draw weight bow). In all the cases listed above, my arrow did penetrate both sides of every animal but some, as stated,were not complete pass throughs. I will take this in light of the fact that every animal was hit perfectly and I was shooting a light arrow (I like speed). In 2006, I killed 9 of 17 animals while spot and stalking. In 2008, I killed 8more animals while spot and stalking.The vast majority of the animals killed were shot between 30and 60 yards. Secondly, The animals in Africa, even the large ones, are a lot faster than people give them credit for. Slower arrows, in my opinion, are detrimental. Thus, heavier may not be a good thing, especially when your preferred style of huntingis spot and stalk like mine. Yes, you can get away with more sitting atwaterholes. But who wants to be limited to that? I've attached a video linkof a warthog I shot. The hog was twenty yards away and my bow is shooting 300fps. Watch the arrow (it may take several viewings). The warthog was perfectly broadside to me while I was in a blind over a watering hole. Watch where the arrow exits the pig. That pig spun on a dime! A slower arrow may have produced a gut shot pig...and a huge empty dent in my wallet.

It's is definitely a balancing act! But I will say this, go there with all the confidence in the world in your equipment regardless of what broadhead and arrow weight you select. Take the time to test and re-test your equipment. find what works well for you.My personal preference is fast, flat, and accurate.

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk73/iamyourhuckleberry/?action=view&current=Title4-Chapter6-0.flv

Agreed, soft soles work better.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

As ugly as he was, not that it anything to do with it, he sure moved with a quickness!
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replies,I know that I will have alot more questions but I wanted to get started early.
Will,thank you for you great advise and offers!sounds like you have been there done that --many times!

mark
Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

IAm-----
Not to take anything away from your shot or anything really, but maybe the reason the warthog moved ws more with noise than anything. As you said, you shoot a light arrow, which, almost always correlates to louder shots. I know I've shot quite a few different arrow weights and I've found that to be true. I have not shot out of a blind either, but it sure seems like that makes the noise louder from the shows that shoot turkeys and such out of one. Nice shot regardless!
Dandbuck
Old 02-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Kangas advise is sound , at the least a heavier arrow and scary sharp fixed head would be great ideas , you are shooting enough bow , no need to up your poundage , but mechanical heads and a lite arrow are nono's