Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant >

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Old 02-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Sounds right down the NRA's alley, especiallygiven the not so kind words that some bowhunters have for their gunhunting brethren.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 AM

Interesting .
Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

The NRA will create a division among all hunters if they take it upon themselves to become involved with wildlife management. It will only hurt us all in the long run. We(at least in Illinois) already have big problems with some state legislators trying to manage wildlife instead of letting the people who are trained and dedicated in this field. NRA, stick to doing what you do best.....fight for gunowners rights, not to wildlife management!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

I think you answered your own question! They're trying to obtain more hunting lands for its members that hunt. They are doing the exact same thing the WVBA is trying to do. I don't understand is why can't the guys that hunt with different weapons have a crack at these bucks and does your talking about?? What if these guys own land there and want to hunt they're own land and do so with a gun?

Not to sound condescending, but I don't think you really understand the hunting mentality here in WV. The practice of "if its brown, it is down" is what exists in the rest of the state. The only reason that you can find a large number big bucks in West Virginia is because of archery only rule. There is no other place you can go in WV and have a reasonable chance at a big buck.

If locals want to gun hunt, there are certainly plenty of areas for them to do so. Land owner rights really don't fly in these areas since most of the huntable lands are owned by private companies (mainly coal mining or timber/land). There are no agriculture areas in these counties.

You make it sound as if there are a few bowhunters that want to keep the vast majority of everyone else from hunting these areas with a gun. The exact opposite is true. If it was left entirely up the local residents, we would not have a problem. Most people want to keep it as is. Yes there is a small minority (and I mean small) that want to open a gun season (hence the contacting of the NRA). It would not surprise me one bit if the one who "complained" were not from these counties in the first place. The only way something like this could happen is to get a large outside group involved. They don't have the numbers otherwise.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a very interesting issue. On one hand, I completely understand why you would want it to stay bow only. On the other hand, I can understand why an organization like the NRA would want more hunters to be able to hunt public land. I am sure that there is a way that they could control the hunts there and hopefully keep both sides happy.

Honestly, after just my initial response, I support the NRA in trying to at least look in to the matter by asking its members what they want. What they do next will be a determining factor, though.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

The NRA will create a division among all hunters if they take it upon themselves to become involved with wildlife management. It will only hurt us all in the long run. We(at least in Illinois) already have big problems with some state legislators trying to manage wildlife instead of letting the people who are trained and dedicated in this field. NRA, stick to doing what you do best.....fight for gunowners rights, not to wildlife management!

It seems to me that the WVBA are the ones creating a division in hunters by trying to keep the gun hunters out and keep these counties for themselves???
Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

From the webpage of the NRA-ILA

"While the NRA is a single issue organization [gun rights], the Instituteis involved in any issue that directly or indirectly affects firearms ownership and use. Those involve such topics as hunting and access to hunting lands...."

Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

It seems to me that the WVBA are the ones creating a division in hunters by trying to keep the gun hunters out and keep these counties for themselves???
After further thinking, you could be right. I think it all depends upon the deer population in those counties. Here in Illinois as the population increased the firearm permits increased. Although I do think Illinois is going a little overboard these days with the new rules for '09.

I just think clear, honest thinking should prevail in deciding whats best for game management.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

UR right madville the biggest bucks in the state do come from there. The NRA more concerned about opening lands that are more restricted, its not like hunting is not aloud. I look at alot of the thing the DNR in our beautiful state as some of the dumbest things ever, But there is one thing that they are good at at thats managing a sustainable deer population. I honestly think that more than just those four counties in the state should go to tighter hunting regulations to try and get in some bigger bucks. The doe to buck ratio in most of the state is rediculous. Where im from you can look into fields and see 20 does to one buck. I agree completely with you though.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc

Although not a member of the NRA (why I have no idea), I've always supported what they do. Like most hunters, I am very pro gun. But the recent actions of the NRA in southern West Virginia is leaving me shocked and if I am honest, somewhat angry.

In southern West Virginia, there are four counties that have been archery-only for deer since the mid 70's. At the time, the whitetail deer population had nearly been wiped out. Due to the archery only status and a one buck limit, the population has slowly recovered although it is still no where near the population of most counties in West Virginia. Also due to the archery-only status and one-buck limit, the age structure is much higher than what is found elsewhere in the state. In these counties bucks have a great chance to reach their true potential. It is no surprise that 80-90% of the P&Y bucks taken in the state are from these 4 counties. You will find that most hunters in these counties allow small bucks to walk as a rule which is the opposite of what you find elsewhere in the state.

Most of the hunters that are from these areas wouldn't trade the situation that is found in these 4 counties for nothing. Why would they? It is a treasure trove of trophy bucks. You can go almost anywhere in this four-county area, put out a little corn and a camera, and have a very good chance to have a P&Y buck appear on camera within a few days. Unfortunately, it seems the setup is not loved by everyone. Evidently a small number of NRA members from this area notified the higher ups in the NRA and complained that they aren't able to gun hunt in these four counties. The NRA responded by sending out a questionnaire to all of their members from these counties to ask their opinion on the matter.

I have heard through various sources that the NRA plans to lobby the West Virginia legislature to allow some form of gun season in these counties. The NRA is a powerful lobby group, but I think they are setting a dangerous precedent here. They are getting away from gun rights and toying with game management, which in my opinion they have no business being involved with. The job of game management belongs to the Department of Natural Resourses for each state. Besides it isn't like the state is restricting gun use in these counties. You can still gun hunt small game, coyote, bear, birds, etc. The only species that is archery-only is whitetail.

One can only hope that nothing comes from this. I do know that the West Virginia Bowhunters Association is fighting it.

But I am from the area and probably biased. What do you guys think? Thoughts?
Well, being I am from Mingo/Logan county, I can see the NRA's gripe. Not everyone wants to bowhunt. Its great for bowhunters. Buta good number ofhunters in the area are not bowhunters. They want a piece of the action. They pay tax money just like us bowhunters. As long as thier is enough deer in the area to make a case for gun, I have no issue with it.

Quick Reply: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.