HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 AM
madvilledoc
Fork Horn

Default RE: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

I think you answered your own question! They're trying to obtain more hunting lands for its members that hunt. They are doing the exact same thing the WVBA is trying to do. I don't understand is why can't the guys that hunt with different weapons have a crack at these bucks and does your talking about?? What if these guys own land there and want to hunt they're own land and do so with a gun?

Not to sound condescending, but I don't think you really understand the hunting mentality here in WV. The practice of "if its brown, it is down" is what exists in the rest of the state. The only reason that you can find a large number big bucks in West Virginia is because of archery only rule. There is no other place you can go in WV and have a reasonable chance at a big buck.

If locals want to gun hunt, there are certainly plenty of areas for them to do so. Land owner rights really don't fly in these areas since most of the huntable lands are owned by private companies (mainly coal mining or timber/land). There are no agriculture areas in these counties.

You make it sound as if there are a few bowhunters that want to keep the vast majority of everyone else from hunting these areas with a gun. The exact opposite is true. If it was left entirely up the local residents, we would not have a problem. Most people want to keep it as is. Yes there is a small minority (and I mean small) that want to open a gun season (hence the contacting of the NRA). It would not surprise me one bit if the one who "complained" were not from these counties in the first place. The only way something like this could happen is to get a large outside group involved. They don't have the numbers otherwise.