Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rangefinders!!!! >

Rangefinders!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rangefinders!!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Spike

Default Rangefinders!!!!

Looking to buy a rangefinder mainly for bow hunting but want to use it for rifle hunting as well. Never had one so I don't know much about them so all the info that everone tells me would be nice. The price don't matter just looking for the the right one to buy. (the best for my money)

Thank you to all that replies...
Old 01-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rangefinders!!!!

I use a Nikon 440. It's range is 10-440 yds. I use it for bow and gun. It will run you about 180 for the green one and 200 for the realtree camo one. It is simple to use with one button function. I mean, there are ones out there that go to 800 yds and beyond but im not taking that shot so it doesnt matter to me. I personally have never used the archers choice which is the one that automatically figures out the angle for bowhunting but my opinion is that is just a marketing tool. I have only been bowhunting for about 8 yrs but have never missed a deer due to a treestand to ground angle. I have missed due to improper form and nerves but not a yardage. When it all boils down to it, it is whatever you like and makes you warm and fuzzy. i would just recommend getting a name brand. hope this helps
Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

So is the angle thing just dramatized and over rated cause ive been lookin to get a range finder too, and am not sure if i should get one with the angle adjustment in it.
ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

I use a Nikon 440. It's range is 10-440 yds. I use it for bow and gun. It will run you about 180 for the green one and 200 for the realtree camo one. It is simple to use with one button function. I mean, there are ones out there that go to 800 yds and beyond but im not taking that shot so it doesnt matter to me. I personally have never used the archers choice which is the one that automatically figures out the angle for bowhunting but my opinion is that is just a marketing tool. I have only been bowhunting for about 8 yrs but have never missed a deer due to a treestand to ground angle. I have missed due to improper form and nerves but not a yardage. When it all boils down to it, it is whatever you like and makes you warm and fuzzy. i would just recommend getting a name brand. hope this helps
Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Im not gonna say that it IS just a marketing tool cause im not a engineer or anything BUT it just came out either the end of 07 or the first part of 08. Look at all the deer that have been killed using the old ones. I look at it like this. If you practice from an elevated position and you use your range finder and you dial in your bow at 15 yrds. Will there really be a diff when your elevated in a treestand and your rangefinder tells you that the deer is 15 yrds away? now, that said, is there a diff between ground trajectory and elevated trajectory? sure! but is 20 feet up enough elevation to make a diff of more then a inch. I personally have not been able to find a difference. I am sure there are people on here that will swear by it. Everyone has their own opinion and thats fine, but their are people swearing that the Rage broadhead is the best, then how do thousands of people every year kill deer with muzzy's? get where im going with this? there are tons of people that will tell you that one is better then the other but as long as your buying quality, its really up to you.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

The angle compensating feature will Not benefit most Hunters, but if you are buying New then you might as well have it

Dan
Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Also, if im not mistaken, the archers choice only goes out to 99 yrds. i could be wrong but i think thats it. You said you wanted on for gun hunting to so this would not be the best choice.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

As stated above, I also have a 440camo, it doesnt have the angle finder, but where I hunt I dont see a differance at all. Just shoot for distance and then pick a tree or object at same yardage and then raise the finder to same level as you are, and it should read the different yardage. I have found in most cases where I hunt that the two (flat?angled) are very close to each other. Just remember to bend at the waist when you aim - shoot to keep your form in order and all should be fine..
Old 01-30-2009, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

I was looking at a Nikon 550 for $200.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Bushnell Scout 100 w/ ARC. If I was only going to hunt here in Illinois the ARC (angle range compensation) would not come into affect. However If and when I decide to go out west for some elk or mulies I will be glad to have it. Another thing I like about the Scout 1000 is that it is for both archery and gun. In gun mode you can enter your load into it and it will tell you how much to hold over for the compensation of the bullet drop.

Just my .02
Old 01-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Nikkon 440 and for the price it does what i want . I don't shoot a gun anywhere near 440 yards so that is not a problem.
Very simple to use and I don't think you need the angle compensating that the others have . just a marketing tool.