Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BRRRRRR

Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default BRRRRRR

I know this has been talked about before on here, but I cant find it anywhere. I need some help staying warm when I am on stand. Tell me your secrets. What are your layering secrets?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BRRRRRR

This is how I've kept warm hunting the entire late season here in SE Pa, where it's beenMUCH colder than normal. I put Under Armour next to my skin, then Cabela's Polartech over that (layers). Top and bottom. Then my insulated camo over that.For my feet, it's Northern Outfitters Expedition boots, thinpolyprope sox (wicking), andwool soxwith one Grabber (24hr)handwarmer (taped with hocky tape) under my toes. Works great. And finally, for my hands I use a hand muff with 3 Grabber (24hr)hand warmers inside. Awesome combo!!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the heater body suit. I am going to build one of these this summer.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

What, you and hardcore?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are $300 new, I am pretty sure I can build one for under $40 maybe $50. One big garage sale sleeping bag. Some of my old riped up camo or garage sale camo a few pieces of elastic and a couple hours later. I just saved at least $260. Think about it.

ORIGINAL: early in

What, you and hardcore?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have looked into one of these, but I damned if I will pay what they want for one of these.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

This is a good start.

https://www.cdsportswear.com/wf_style2.htm

For me, it has cut down on my layers by at least 2.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

UA Cold Gear
Thermax
Merino Wool
Outer layer with a Wind Barrier

I use the folowing depending on exactly what the temp is. I hunted 24 below zero in NE. in a blind in Dec, and around5 below zero in a Treestandwith No problems, but I am pretty warm natured.

The Merino Wool and the Wind Barrier have been my best 2 weapons against the cold. UA is pretty good as well.

Dan
Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Top:
UA
Wool pullover
Heavy hooded sweatshirt
2 fleece pullovers
Heavy fleece wind breaker jacket

Bottom:
UA
Wool pants
Fleece sweatpants
Scent Blocker Pro Hunter insulated bibs

Feet:
UA socks
Thick wool sock over the UA sock
Rocky Maruader 2 boots 1000gm insulation - Will be upgrating to Rocky Deerstalker with 1400gm insulation this year

Head:
Wool stocking cap
Fleece wind blockingbalaclava over the wool hat for really cold days

Hands:
Regular wool gloves with the finger tips cut off
For colder days i'll stick my hands in a hand muff with 3 or 4 disposable hand warmers

I stay pretty damn warm with this system. I look like the kid from The Christmas Story after im done dressingbut it keeps me warm and I can still draw a bow with ease.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Darren - I finally got so sick of my feet freezing that I sprung the 50 bucks and bought a set of those foot mitten boot blankets.For sitting on-stand, they will keep your feet warm. If you start to feel a chill, you can easily throw a handwarmer or two down inside for extra warmth.

It was single-digits on the day I took this pic, and all I wore out there was a pair of tube socks and my alpha burly boots (uninsulated). My feet were never cold.

For the hands, I use a hand muff. I have the big, heavy one from Icebreakers for cold weather, and a lighter one (Remington) for bowhunting in warmer weather. I never wear gloves anymore. I've never found gloves that can keep my hands warm. With my big muff and a couple handwarmer packets, I can keep my hands sweating all day in temps down to 0.

To help quell the heat loss through the head/neck, I wear a fleece balaclava. It really traps a lot of heat that would otherwise escape through the neck, head and shoulders. I usually don't even bother to put the hood up. You can pick up a decent balaclava for 10-20 bucks. DEFINITELY worth the money. It's great, b/c you can take it off easily when you're moving - to keep from getting sweaty.

As far as I'm concerned - if my ears, fingers and toes stay warm, I stay warm.

Quick Reply: BRRRRRR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.