HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BRRRRRR
Thread: BRRRRRR
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BRRRRRR

Darren - I finally got so sick of my feet freezing that I sprung the 50 bucks and bought a set of those foot mitten boot blankets.For sitting on-stand, they will keep your feet warm. If you start to feel a chill, you can easily throw a handwarmer or two down inside for extra warmth.

It was single-digits on the day I took this pic, and all I wore out there was a pair of tube socks and my alpha burly boots (uninsulated). My feet were never cold.

For the hands, I use a hand muff. I have the big, heavy one from Icebreakers for cold weather, and a lighter one (Remington) for bowhunting in warmer weather. I never wear gloves anymore. I've never found gloves that can keep my hands warm. With my big muff and a couple handwarmer packets, I can keep my hands sweating all day in temps down to 0.

To help quell the heat loss through the head/neck, I wear a fleece balaclava. It really traps a lot of heat that would otherwise escape through the neck, head and shoulders. I usually don't even bother to put the hood up. You can pick up a decent balaclava for 10-20 bucks. DEFINITELY worth the money. It's great, b/c you can take it off easily when you're moving - to keep from getting sweaty.

As far as I'm concerned - if my ears, fingers and toes stay warm, I stay warm.