Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Let Him Go So He Can Grow-Who Cares?? >

Let Him Go So He Can Grow-Who Cares??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let Him Go So He Can Grow-Who Cares??

Old 01-25-2002, 02:43 PM

Default RE: Let Him Go So He Can Grow-Who Cares??

Jeff,

I am pulling my hair out here....So, this could take me a while. After days of reading posts and thinking this over I would like to add my thoughts. I have spent a good third of my life studying life science and wildlife biology and all of my life hunting. I hold a bachelors of science degree in biology and am currently working on my masters in wildlife biology and resource management via Montana State University. My point is, I feel I have a complete comprehension of the philosophies, concepts,principles and purposes of QDM.

For everyone else who has reservations about QDM, I would ask you to take a good hard look at the facts. Like Jeff has written, (I couldnt have stated it any better) QDM is not about trophy hunting.

QDM is far more concerned with herd health than it is with the size of an animals rack. Heck with quality management...maximum antler growth has a chance. Nice antlers are simply a bi-product of the management plan. Of course there will be "ranches" motivated by revenue that a big rack can bring in todays "buy a buck society", but what about all of us public land hunters or small private land owners or buddies that have leased a piece of land to hunt? A consistent application of QDM in these hunting areas will ensure a higher quality of hunting, deer herd health and enhanced habitat for years to come. What is wrong with that?

There wouldnt be much of a debate in my opinion if everyone was thoroughly educated on the concepts and principles of QDM. If you poll hunters....the majority of hunters care deeply for the well being of the animals in their hunting areas and across this great continent. They want future generations to enjoy a quality hunting experience.

Most commercial hunting ranches place their #1 priority on big antlers. Would I hunt a high dollar ranch that held tame or even steroid fed critters ? No! But, I dont have a problem with a ranch practicing QDM as long as fair chase is a top priority. What constitutes fair chaise is a whole other issue.

Personally, I have never hunted anything but public land and the more I do and talk with fellow hunters and research other areas, the more I recognize how much QDM is greatly needed in areas like I hunt. It doesnt take rocket science to understand why so many public land hunting areas are over populated with does, imbreeding is a common occurance and carring capacities are exhausted. Very few mature bucks take part in the breeding process which in turn allows for less adaptable genetics to be passed on. Yes that is a fact. SUPERIOR DNA DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN ADAPTIBILITY OF ANY SPECIES.

IHW,
SHED

Edited by - shed1 on 01/25/2002 15:48:24
Old 01-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

I've hunted in PA for 9 years now. I can't believe what is happening there! Many won't like it, but in under 5 years they'll all be thanking Alt. Many of us in MI are jealous, and hope that MI eventually follows suit to overturn our diplorable deer management practices. I was actually considering hunting in another state to replace PA, but now I am thrilled with the opportunity to continue my annual trip to the big woods near Bradford.

Actually, I've been able to harvest 5 bucks in 9 years that were 6 pt or better-all on public land with 30 cars parked in some of the turn-offs. Whats been nice is that even thought the #'s have gone down, I see more bucks now, and the body weights have gone up for the past several years-a testament to good, healthy, management.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:15 PM

I believe that letting the buck go will help the deer population but only under 1 condition. The doe have to be reduced in many states to have a good ratio between them. That is what will bring a healther deer population.
It would also help during breeding. Instead of having the 1 1/2 year old doing most of the breeding eventually it will become where they will not.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Your lucky you live in a state that is leading the nation in deer management! I at least get to hunt there every year, but it almost makes me want to move.

Maybe someday MI will follow, I'd prefer they lead, but the've shown they are definately not leaders.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.