Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer and smells

Old 04-14-2003, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default deer and smells

I have a question. With hunting scent business probably reaching the " multi-million dollar industry" title this has come to my mind recently. If deer can so easily scent us humans (cause we smell or cause our clothes smell or whatever) how did the native americans do it? They were exteremely proficient at what they did. Depending on their area many even lived off of it. So what was their secret? Less clothes less smell? They clothed in Animal pelt anyway so it masked human smell? Their food had less ' toxins' in it so therefore the smelled less that we? Smell is less of a variable than we think?

What' s your opinion?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer and smells

if you want deer not be scared of your scent, all you have to do is stop eating meat during hunting season. Dont get me wrong, I dont eat like a rabbit during the season, but I do not eat meat. I eat thing' s like pizza, spagetti, lasagna, and fish. A deer' s awesome sense of smell doesnt determine the difference between, rabbit, coyote, cow or human, what they do is determine between, meat eater and non meat eater. The toxin' s in the food' s we eat will not alarm deer, just like the smell of automobiles and mack truck' s do not alarm deer when their standing 2 ft. of a major highway feeding. Pike
Old 04-14-2003, 06:54 PM

if you want deer not be scared of your scent, all you have to do is stop eating meat during hunting season. Dont get me wrong, I dont eat like a rabbit during the season, but I do not eat meat. I eat thing' s like pizza, spagetti, lasagna, and fish. A deer' s awesome sense of smell doesnt determine the difference between, rabbit, coyote, cow or human, what they do is determine between, meat eater and non meat eater. The toxin' s in the food' s we eat will not alarm deer, just like the smell of automobiles and mack truck' s do not alarm deer when their standing 2 ft. of a major highway feeding. Pike

I WISH, If I thought for one second that deer would not be scared of my scent if I did not eat meat, I would eat carrots 365 days a year - and that’s the truth.

It just isn’t so. People smell like people - can' t change that by eating veggies. There is allot more to our smell than just the food we eat. Deer are capable of telling individual deer apart by just there smell - do you really think a vegetarian smells just like a cow to them.

And besides - everything you stated you eat has eggs in it - that is meat, and fish are eaten by many predators - bears included.

Believe me they know exactly what they are smelling - rabbit - fox -raccoon- humans. There sense of smell is there #1 defense by far and it is awesome and always correct.

You HAVE TOPLAY THE WIND - be it after burgers or blueberries

And the reason deer are not scared of truck fumes along a highway is because they expect to smell those fumes along a highway. Not only can they decipher what they smell they know were the smell belongs and where it doesn' t. Take that same truck fume and put it in their beds or away from the highway and they WILL know something is not right.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rack attack, First let me stay, I still play the wind, and take every other scent precaution I can, alway' s have, but you mock what you dont understand, and that is fine, the truth is that your body produces a different scent when you eat meat then when you dont . The difference in scent is caused by bacteria, This bacteria isnt present with non meater' s. Egg' s have nothing to do with it either, because I am talking about Red Meat. Pike
Old 04-14-2003, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

how did the native americans do it? They were exteremely proficient at what they did.
Alot of tribes did indeed go without eating any meat for several days before a hunt. They also used mud to eliminate or mask human odor. They also used parts of deer (scent glands) for scent attractant and sometimes entire deer capes for decoy attractants.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowfantic, I think I also read somewhere, that in many tribes, they would stop having relations with the opposite sex for a cetain time period before the hunt. Another thing the indian' s did and I do on occassion, when im camping and dont have the use of a shower is to rub the chared coal from the camp fire to mask my scent. Pike
Old 04-14-2003, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pike ,

I draw the line at giving up the poontang during hunting season! I always thought that was good luck
Old 04-15-2003, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I had to give up eating meat, and spending time with the mrs., I think I`d just give up bowhunting instead![]
Old 04-15-2003, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I draw the line at giving up the poontang during hunting season! I always thought that was good luck
My thoughts as well!
Old 04-15-2003, 08:16 AM
nub

I draw the line at giving up the poontang during hunting season!
I can think of a couple weeks in the course of a season where that scent might be benificial.[]

Quick Reply: deer and smells

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.