HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer and smells
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Rack-attack

Default RE: deer and smells

if you want deer not be scared of your scent, all you have to do is stop eating meat during hunting season. Dont get me wrong, I dont eat like a rabbit during the season, but I do not eat meat. I eat thing' s like pizza, spagetti, lasagna, and fish. A deer' s awesome sense of smell doesnt determine the difference between, rabbit, coyote, cow or human, what they do is determine between, meat eater and non meat eater. The toxin' s in the food' s we eat will not alarm deer, just like the smell of automobiles and mack truck' s do not alarm deer when their standing 2 ft. of a major highway feeding. Pike

I WISH, If I thought for one second that deer would not be scared of my scent if I did not eat meat, I would eat carrots 365 days a year - and that’s the truth.

It just isn’t so. People smell like people - can' t change that by eating veggies. There is allot more to our smell than just the food we eat. Deer are capable of telling individual deer apart by just there smell - do you really think a vegetarian smells just like a cow to them.

And besides - everything you stated you eat has eggs in it - that is meat, and fish are eaten by many predators - bears included.

Believe me they know exactly what they are smelling - rabbit - fox -raccoon- humans. There sense of smell is there #1 defense by far and it is awesome and always correct.

You HAVE TOPLAY THE WIND - be it after burgers or blueberries

And the reason deer are not scared of truck fumes along a highway is because they expect to smell those fumes along a highway. Not only can they decipher what they smell they know were the smell belongs and where it doesn' t. Take that same truck fume and put it in their beds or away from the highway and they WILL know something is not right.