Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Guess I am too old fashioned and an elitist >

Guess I am too old fashioned and an elitist

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guess I am too old fashioned and an elitist

Old 01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Guess I am too old fashioned and an elitist

The following was taken from another site. I'll keep my opinion to myself at least for now, other than saying does it really matter if its a monster buck or not, but I could not honestly believe some of the replies. Guess I am an elitist and too old school when it comes to bowhunting?

If you had a monster buck sited at 100 yards with no wind standing broadside and completely relaxed and didnt think you could get closer for whatever reason, would you take the shot?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Guess I am too old fashioned and an elitist

quote:

If you had a monster buck sited at 100 yards with no wind standing broadside and completely relaxed and didnt think you could get closer for whatever reason, would you take the shot?

I guess my first question would be with what kind of weapon?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

with a bow... I wouldnt even think about taking a shot. I would try to get closer, or back out and hunt him the next day. I'd rather get busted than take a 100 yard shot and probably end up hittingthe deer inits face or hind quarters. I guess some people might take that shot but i personally dont know anyone that would..
Old 01-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a 50 yard pin. When I order and receive the new Octane sight I will have a 60 yard pin, when I went on an elk hunt I was zipping Muzzy tipped Beman Trophy Hunters, 70/90's into the 12 ring of a McKenzie bull elk at 75 yards every time. (Shot my bull at 33 yards.)

With that said, I will NEVER take a 100 yard shot on a whitetail REGARDLESS of the size of his antlers.

Maximum effective range is set by me long before I go afield for the year and the size of the antlers DO NOT extend that range.

I just wish all archers thought/practiced the same thing.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you take a 100 yard shot with a bow, you shouldn't be allowed to bowhunt IMO.I dont care how good you are, its too much of a risk.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:44 PM
bigcountry

Most people feel its unethical because they are judging the shooter with thier own skills. I have seen folks where 100 yard is a chip shot. Well, actually only saw 1. For me, sure it would be unethical. I don't practice at 100 yards, I don't think if I did, I don't think I could consistently hit a 3d deer at 100 yards. I need to be able to hit something with a good bit of confidense.

There are folks on here, who I bet can't consistently hit a 3d deer vitals with trad gear even under20 yards, but they still take thier gear out in the field. Nobody bats an eye on here.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

[blockquote]
quote:

If you had a monster buck sited at 100 yards with no wind standing broadside and completely relaxed and didnt think you could get closer for whatever reason, would you take the shot?[/blockquote]

Using a bow.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are folks on here, who I bet can't consistently hit a 3d deer vitals with trad gear even under20 yards, but they still take thier gear out in the field. Nobody bats an eye on here.
But are they going to shoot at a live deer at 100 yards?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

[blockquote]quote:

[blockquote]
quote:

If you had a monster buck sited at 100 yards with no wind standing broadside and completely relaxed and didnt think you could get closer for whatever reason, would you take the shot?[/blockquote]

[/blockquote]

Using a bow.
[:-][:-] Hell I'd be leary about taking the shot with a shotgun [8D].
Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Banned

I saw that too coug and you saw my reply. I am in2 archery as I like the up close and in your face action that archery provides. I can see guys practicing at 100 yds and plus for fun and maybe some freak followup shot(is it really ever gonna happen)

Quick Reply: Guess I am too old fashioned and an elitist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.