Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Planning for ’09 season….east Illinois >

Planning for ’09 season….east Illinois

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Planning for ’09 season….east Illinois

Old 01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Spike

Default Planning for ’09 season….east Illinois

I just found out that my wife’s family has 200 acres in Armstrong Illinois, however after looking at it on Google earth it’s pretty much all flat, open farmland. I did see that a couple miles from their cabin is Kickapoo State Park which is open to hunting. I have browsed a little, but haven’t found anything on the whitetail in the park. Has anyone hunted this area that might have some suggestions while I’m starting to plan? The park’s website didn’t really offer much information. I did do a search and see that the park was in the run-in’s with a few others for closing, but it appeared from the website it’s still open.

My father in law was telling me that he would probably be inheriting this property soon. It’s got a house, cabin, and 2 barns on the property. He’s a Florida boy and told me that it looks like I would have a place to stay if I wanted to hunt in that area…..so I’m hoping the park is open and a decent area.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Planning for ’09 season….east Illinois

I hunt in Paris, an hour south. It's GREAT hunting- unfortunately, the further North you go, the flatter it gets.

I would have to guess that it's going to be pretty much open fields like you said that the aerials show, BUT there is still going to be deer!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Law, thats my back yard. who is your wifes family?? PM me if you dont want to say publicly.

There are some good deer on kickapoo and middlefork public areas, big bucks are killed there every year.Kinda crowded but then again that could be me. I am lucky enough to own my own ground to hunt on so maybe for public ground its not to bad. Kickapoo is still open and will be this fall too.

There is also a bow only county park across the river from middlefork that has some good deer to. They charge for hunting, around $25 for residents and $50 or so for out of staters.

As far as your wifes family ground if its in the right spot all the deer out here needs is a patch of weeds and they are happy as long as the pressure is light. So if they have any fence rows you might have all you need. If the crops are still standing dont over look hunting a ground blind in the corn.

Good luckthis fall!!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 AM
Spike

englum- it looks like it's all float all around. That's kind of crazy that deer will still be in the area...never hunted open flat areas so I just can't imagine it.

Ill Buck- I honestly don't know their name. I have met them one time, but I will find out and shoot ya a pm. Man I'm excited now!!! I love going to other states hunting. What's the name of the archery only across from middlefork? Is middlefork the same as kickapoo? If it's anything like our public area archery season isn't super crowded, but as soon as gun season starts it's crazy crowded. I don't even go on public land here once gun season opens. Hope you don't mind, but I'm probably gonna have more questions for ya the more I start making plans and looking at the area closer.

Not really sure what crops they plant, but the use of a blind in standing corn did cross my mind....just wasn't sure since it is so flat and it really didn't look like there were any areas for the deer to hold up in at all.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Law, if theres corn theres a place for them to hole up in!!!

The county bow only park is called kennekuk, dont know if that the exact spelling but it sounds like Ken-uh-kuk.

Heres a link to thier web site http://www.vccd.org/gikennekuk.html

Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Spike

Awsome, thanks!!! Now I have about 10 months to plan & waiy....