Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WOW 90 DEER IN LESS THAN AN 20 ACRE!!!!! >

WOW 90 DEER IN LESS THAN AN 20 ACRE!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WOW 90 DEER IN LESS THAN AN 20 ACRE!!!!!

Old 04-12-2003, 08:39 PM

Default WOW 90 DEER IN LESS THAN AN 20 ACRE!!!!!

Hey guys,

A couple days ago, I went out to one of my hunting areas looking for some turkeys to hunt this spring. This isn' t my honey hole, but, it is the land that is adjacent to it. Well, I found one gobbler up there, but, I went through the woods and into a back field in the middle of the woods that is planted in clover. There were well over 50 deer in this little field. It is probablly 80 yards by 100 yards. [] They spooked and ran out of the field, this line just kept going and going. After that, we jumped up another 10 deer in the brush beside the field. The two fields on the other side of the woods had about 20 deer in each one.

It AMAZED me, and disappointed me at the same time. I have NEVER seen so many deer in such a small area. The woods are TERRIBLE with browse lines. There was a trail going through the woods that looked like a bull-dozer went up through. The leaves were gone, absolutely no new growth on this trail, and, it was wore down a few inches into the ground.

This should make for a very interesting archery season. I always try to harvest deer from my honey hole, to try to keep the doe number in those woods down, but, I might have to try to kill some of the deer on the land that I saw all the deer on.

Its just weird, this year that we kill more doe and less bucks, mixed with a harsh winter, and I see the most deer I have ever seen. It can' t be good for the herd [:' (]
Old 04-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: WOW 90 DEER IN LESS THAN AN 20 ACRE!!!!!

They' re just yarded/herded up from the hard winter. They should start dispersing soon as things green up and before they give birth. The clover and the alfalfa has drawn them. Plus if you look it probably has other things in the area, a swamp, open water all winter, heavy pines or something. Your area probably drew in deer from less suitable habitat.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:08 AM

I am a little north west of you and we did have a pretty severe winter. I have seen more deer in less space and I have seen a lot more deer at mid day lately. I do think the availability of quality feed plus somewhere there are the minerals they need at this time. I have to admit that I have not found a place such as that you describe and I sure wish I could! Happy hunting this fall.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jason,

I have had pretty much the same experience as you as of late. I have been seeing relatively large herds of deer in a variety of different locations over the last week or so. I would like to believe that our new herd management system has something to do with it but then again it would seem that my experiences would be contrary to the intended goal.