Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 More News from the ATA 366 fps >

More News from the ATA 366 fps

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More News from the ATA 366 fps

Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: More News from the ATA 366 fps

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Al,

I have a single pin that's good out to forty yards. I bought the bow to use on dangerous game in Africa. Hopefully a hippo and cape buff will be on the receiving end of it's delivery system. I haven't put it through a chrono yet.
Last week MeanV, GregH, TFOX, and Doug all informed me that my bow was obviously sighted in wrong(which it was) as even an arrow traveling at 400 fps will have too much drop for a one pin sight to be usedout to 40 yds. I also learned 3 years ago on this site, that a 70# bow doesn't really shoot any faster than a 60# bow; just a a gain in kinetic energy, as a 70# bow requires heavier arrow than the 60#. Hense, the 80# bow will be nice for Kinetic energy on big, heavy skinned, dangerous game. No real speed advantage, just kinetic energy.
That was because you said your single pin was sighted in to 20 yards. If the pin is sighted in to 28-30 yards, it may work out to 40 yards.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Banned

Yea...I was high by 3" at 20 yds...hense my results.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Food for thought here guys.

I was able to shoot this bow and put my hands on it. Yes, it has a 5.5" brace height, but instead of them reflexing the riser more, to cut down brace height, they just put shorter limbs on it. Sort of like how the 82nd and 101st were built. So, truly, this bow is probably NOT going to shoot much different than the XForce 6. Something I also like about this bow, from a shooters perspective, is that it's a draw length specific bow. Draw length specific are usually more efficient when you start dropping draw lengths.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don,

You are more than likely right about the speed. I am definitley shooting a heavier arrow out of the #80 pound bow verses say a #70. I have not chronoed the bow yet. Chances are, it may even be slower than 330 fps. I'm ok with that. It definitleyhas the kenetic energy you mentioned.

The bow shoots extremely flat. I like having a yardage pin for 20, 30, 40, etc. But, in the case of this bow, the pins are so thighly stack. It makes it very difficult to acquire a spot when you have three pins laying on top of each other (does that make sense?).
Old 01-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Don,

You are more than likely right about the speed. I am definitley shooting a heavier arrow out of the #80 pound bow verses say a #70. I have not chronoed the bow yet. Chances are, it may even be slower than 330 fps. I'm ok with that. It definitleyhas the kenetic energy you mentioned.

The bow shoots extremely flat. I like having a yardage pin for 20, 30, 40, etc. But, in the case of this bow, the pins are so thighly stack. It makes it very difficult to acquire a spot when you have three pins laying on top of each other (does that make sense?).
Yes it does. I went with a one pin for my new 82nd for the same reason. At 3" high at 20...I am in the kill zone at 40 and that is good enough for my everyday hunting methods in the midwest. 99% of my shots in the midwest on deer will be within 20 yds and I will just aim a little low on my animal. Turkey shots in blinds tend to be longer and the speed bow is a blessing there. I do most of my hunting from a treestand, but now that I am single and $$ is back to being in my wallet, hunting trips are on high priority. I am moose hunting Alaska in 2010, planning antelope, mule deer, and more elk trips too. I will tune my one pin for 40 yds for these western and Alaska hunts where a 40 yd plus shot may be the norm. My elk this sept was a 40 yd shot with a multi pin sight out of my Guardian. I believe that the speed bows definately have their place out west, alaska, and africa. In a treestand in IA/MO...not real important. My 3 bucks and 1 doe this year were all shot within 5-20 yds of my stand. That has been the norm for the last 25 years of my midwest treestand bowhunting career.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that the speed bows definately have their place out west, alaska, and africa. In a treestand in IA/MO...not real important.
No argument from me! I hosed myself this year on a dandy buck in S. Dokata. I had my 78 pound bow in the tree with me. It was cold, I had been in the tree all day. I had the buck and a doe drifting in and out for two hours towards the end of the day. When it came time to draw, I couldn't pull the bow back (tried eight times). I had been so cold; I was literally shaking in the tree. My muscles were completely fatiqued. First time that ever happened to me...

The next day, I hunted with my 60 pounder (killed a turkey that morning).

I amlearning more and more that there is a time and a place for everything! Having the right tool for the task at hand is also critical. Hunting ducks with a rifle, for example, is not the right tool for the job. It just doesn't make sense to use a massive draw weight bow in tight cover were shots are extremely close. But, out west, Alaska (caribou), and Africa (buffs/hippos/elephants)...whole nother story.

Shoot me a PM when you're heading back this way.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some good info on this thread.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Shoot me a PM when you're heading back this way.
Will do..it would be a pleasure to meet you.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 AM
Spike

WTF's the deal with everyone shooting down the speed bows out there? I've had 2 80# X-FORCE HF's and have a 70# OMEN coming in, I love the speed and kinetic energy these bows put out.
You guys can't tell me you wouldn't like the idea of shooting one pin out to 40yards at atleast 330+FPS.
I've had a 70# Mathews Switchback and it was a real nice bow but I'll never go back.

I'd bet if alot of you guys ripping on the speed bows tried one of them for a week you'd love'm.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hell if I achieve 295-300fps im a happy camper.

Quick Reply: More News from the ATA 366 fps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.