Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sit or stand?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sit or stand?

I usually sit. I practice both ways, but I have found I'm better shooting sitting. I just can't get my legs far enough apart if I'm standing to feel comfortable shooting standing out of a tree stand (climber).
Old 01-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always stand, cuz thats how I practice. If I'm gonna hunt out of my blind I practice shooting sitting down..but in a treestand I like to stand.
Actually though, the first arrow I ever let go at a deer was from a sitting position in my treestand. Lets just say it didnt work out..
Ever since then I've made sure I'm alert and ready so that I have time to stand up in the stand before the deer are right on top of me.
Just feels better to shoot standingimo... Plus its easier to bend at the waist so that my point of aim is not messed up. Learned that lesson..I guess I dont have as much confidence yet shooting at downward angles while sitting
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

When I hunted from a treestand, I preferred to be sitting, but these days I just hang from my Tree Saddle with feet resting on some pegs and my knees against the tree. It's avery stable shot from that postion.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I practice every shot possible, but I always shoot standing up, heck, I stand most of the time while in my treestand, I'll sit every so often then get right back up again!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 PM

I would say I am about 50/50 and like most guys have to stand for shots to my right. I will be honet I would much rather shoot sitting, if I am in a tree. I just like the way it feels.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill stand if i have a choice.I shot my buck this year sitting, he cought me by suprise and i was pinned down by a doe right below meso i couldn't move till she left. When she left i drew and shot.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I stand unless conditions do not allow it
Old 01-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

It depends on the stand and the approaching deer . If I am sitting and the deer approaches and offers me a shot , I have a clear lane , I will shoot that way . If there are obstacles and it is necessary to stand , i will ease up to shoot . Less movement is better and i practice from a 10' ladder stand in my back yard so I get a lot of opportunities to practice shooting sitting down .
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I stand immediately upon seeing a deer or at least at the first opportunity. I cannot begin to remember any deer I've ever shot while seated.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I set my stands, I position them as best I can to allow for a seated shot towards the most likely position. (ie. I turn the stand for my LH shot) My buddies may not like it or even notice it, but it just may save me someday when I get surprised. All that said, I stand as much as possible in the stand as most of my hunts are 3 hours or less and if caught seated, I stand as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: Sit or stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.