Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 South Dakota locked bucks (Lots of pics) >

South Dakota locked bucks (Lots of pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

South Dakota locked bucks (Lots of pics)

Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default South Dakota locked bucks (Lots of pics)

Here's the email I received today-

On November 6, a relative, Dona Viereck, called to tell us that she was driving to Canton , South Dakota and had seen a buck in the distance with his head down. It wasn't moving, and although she honked the car horn repeatedly, he wouldn't raise his head.

She grabbed her binoculars and looked at him, and saw that the buck's horns were entangled with those of another one, which was dead. So she called us and asked if we wanted an adventure -- untangling the animals! Well, we went, pronto!!! I took my camera and we walked right up to them.

They were tangled in an old fence line just east of a golf course, where some railroad tracks had been. The live buck was on the high side, and the dead buck on the slope. The other buck had been dead for 2 or 3 days, we estimated.

Terry attempted to break a point off the dead buck's rack with his pliers, but couldn't. He tried turning the dead buck's head but the other one just became more frightened and started backing up.
The live buck had the bigger rack - a 5 x 6. The dead buck was bigger bodied and looked to be an older deer. It had more "stickers" on its rack.

The now scared buck eventually got out of the fence, and out in the open. Terry pulled an old post out of the fence line and used it to try and pry the racks loose, but it didn't work.

We finally decided to go to a friend's house in order to borrow his chainsaw, but then we thought something quieter would be better, and so got a hacksaw instead. Terry sawed the main beam on the dead buck and then other one was free!

The buck didn't realize this for probably 30 seconds or so. When he did, he started striking the dead buck in the face repeatedly.

He finally raised his head a little, and then a little more. He stood there with his head held high looking at both of us and we wondered if he were going to try charging us too! Then he turned and ran off rather wobbly. He went a short distance, lay down briefly, and then got up and took off in the direction of the Big Sioux River .

Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: South Dakota locked bucks (Lots of pics)

Unbelievable and with pics, very neat story!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, got the same email a couple days ago. Amazing
Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

Pretty Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

holy crap
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM

Awesome story and pics!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got the same e-mail this morning. However, I was told it took place in Iowa in my e-mail. Very cool, no matter where it took place.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool stuff. That buck that lived probably had a crazy head rush once he was free. That's probably why he was dazed for a while. Hopefully he makes it.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got that today too Schultzy, then when I got down to the last3 pics I recognized the deer from my screen saver!I had gotten the same email last year.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool stuff right there, thanks Steve for sharing it!

Quick Reply: South Dakota locked bucks (Lots of pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.