Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You're only as good as the property you're hunting.....?

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

You're only as good as the property you're hunting.....?

I would rather say you can only ever be as good as the property you're hunting. That being said, Some (most) of the best hunters (inches wise) are capable hunters and exceptional at gaining access to good land. Most people are honing their hunting skills hoping to kill monster bucks. Where most are failing is they don't hone their access skills. This ain't rocket science guys! Some people are blessed with good land by birth rite. Some people spend great deals of money and time to have good hunting. Some people are skilled at gaining access to good land. To be "successful" nowdays you must add another dimension to your hunting - land access.

Here is something else to think about. If you spend $250,000 for land to hunt then stick tons of time and money to develope this land, that's a lot of money just to be able to have 8 # ofantler hanging on your wall. Before I would do that I would use that money to experience many other things that this world has to offer. (thats just my personal opinion) I have a good friend that pays around$4000 a year to hunt in Canada. That seems like a lot but compared to owning your own land it is actually cheap.
VERY good point. Perhaps a new aspect of hunting has been born....God looking, well spoken, clean cut people are at an advantage when aqquiring new land.... This is a spin off from the RICH people being able to aqquire new land....

This is nonsense!

It's all about the hunter and his skills. I consistently kill monster bucks in the center of a large, abandoned parking lot in the middle of the city, even if I have to call them in from miles away. I have a large grunt call.
You hunt in NJ ?!?!
I guess I'm screwed!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's really hard to say how good a hunter is based on the property they hunt and the deer that they take unless they are doing it consistently in different areas. An example of this would be a friend of mine who has some exclusive rights to some nice property in NJ. The genetics aren't the best there, but the age structure is there to let the deer get older. He tags a pretty good buck each year and has hunted this property since he started hunting. Does this mean he is a good hunter? I don't know. I'm fairly certain that if you took him out of his comfort zone of his familiar property and put him on another property with different dynamics and good deer he would eventually learn to find and kill them because of what he has learned on his property over the years. However, it may take him 5 or more years to get there.

There are guys on this site, like Iamyourhuckleberry that travel around and find and kill good deer wherever he goes. I think he has been to so many different places he now just knows what to look for. The fact that he has been around mature deer helps him know how they think.

The bottom line is, I believe that if you took a guy that kills a mature buck off of slammer property year after year and a guy that sees a mature buck about once a decade because they are just not there and put them both on the same brand new quality property the guy from the good property has a distinct advantage. That guy has been around, seen, observed, and killed mature bucks. He KNOWS what they will do because he has seen it first hand. He doesn't have to guess. So, that is the factor that plays the most into success on any given property is the experience with mature deer.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you rephrase that to: Your results can only be as good as your property. Then it may be a true statement. You take the best hunter and put him on a bad parcel and he may be successful but his results won't be as good as they could be elsewhere. You take a slob hunter and put him on prime property and he MAY have great results but he is statistically going to blow the opportunity.

The bottom line is, I believe that if you took a guy that kills a mature buck off of slammer property year after year and a guy that sees a mature buck about once a decade because they are just not there and put them both on the same brand new quality property the guy from the good property has a distinct advantage. That guy has been around, seen, observed, and killed mature bucks. He KNOWS what they will do because he has seen it first hand. He doesn't have to guess. So, that is the factor that plays the most into success on any given property is the experience with mature deer.
He also has the confidence and nerve to make the shot count when he has an opportunity. Closing the deal is a HUGE part of the process as well. A lot of guys have missed some great bucks.