Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rangefinder.......  Needed?  Or just something else to carry. >

Rangefinder....... Needed? Or just something else to carry.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rangefinder....... Needed? Or just something else to carry.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rangefinder....... Needed? Or just something else to carry.

ORIGINAL: GFY_Camp

Is it worth spending the money on a rangefinder? Is it just a toy that is cool or does it really help out a lot?
I bought one years ago, it was great to sight in my bow to exactly 20, 30 and 40 yards but after that, I never used it .....or my 30 and 40 yard pins!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will never carry one unless I am hunting in the open plains. It would take too much out of the hunt. If I cannot figure out if a deer is at 20 or 30 yards then I need to hang up my bow.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Spike

We use it. Buteveryone should get to the point that they do not HAVE to rely on them to make that vital shot. Get out and three D during thee off season and it will help you with that critical necessaty of range identification.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

i am not confident, even with lots of practice, to field judge animal distances. My rifle i am not worried about because of the way i have it set up, but for archery i always have it with me. last thing i need to be doing is trying to estimate a bucks distance as he is walking around me..
Old 12-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

To me a rangefinder is a tool that helps in making a quick clean kill.

I guess it would be better if more people guessed the yardage and wounded deer because they don't want the advantage

I was unable to actually rangeeither Buck (Whitetail & Mule Deer) I shot this year, but I ranged landmarks before the shot ever presented itself. I was then able to guess the yardage within a yard on both counts to make a quick clean kill.

After all is not a Quick Clean Kill all our goal?

If I wanted a real challenge I would hunt with a spearWhen I shot a recurve I could effectively shootat a form in the dark if I wanted to, but how many Trad shooters today whine about compound shooters using lighted/fiber opticsights and gaining an advantage. I think not![8D]

Use what you want and support your Bowhunting brother. We are all in this together regardless of what equipment we use.

Dan