Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rangefinder.......  Needed?  Or just something else to carry. >

Rangefinder....... Needed? Or just something else to carry.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rangefinder....... Needed? Or just something else to carry.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rangefinder....... Needed? Or just something else to carry.

Is it worth spending the money on a rangefinder? Is it just a toy that is cool or does it really help out a lot?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rangefinder....... Needed? Or just something else to carry.

Matter of opinion, but I rarely will leave the house without mine!!!! I've killed deer at various ranges, and am quite confident to shoot out to 40-50yds, but there's a big difference between 33 and 38 yds, especially with a slower bow. I'd rather know what I should be aiming for rather than GUESS!!! Nikon has some nice stuff IMO, if I were to buy a new one right now, it would be the Nikon 550.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never go into the woods without mine. Next to my bow, it's the most important piece of equipment in my pockets. It just gives me that extra confidence boost to know EXACTLY what yardage my shot is. Plus it makes putting the shot right where it needs to be much easier. Making the tracking jobs much shorter.

Just imagine how much better you score on a 3D course if you took a range finder along and ranged every animal before you shot.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its always with me, but not always out or around my neck.. Most times I range the trees at various distaces and try to memorize them.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:45 PM

I use mine for the first time at a site, to range trees, rocks, and stumps and establish a "perimeter" to know my outer ranges. After that, it is in the pack unless I forget a certain tree later on in season.

Out west, I kept mine on my belt as it was always being used. Ill rank it as my #2 most important piece of equipment hunting wise for my upcoming trip way up north in Alaska. Im not very good at guessing ranges when you can see for miles.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

With gun...A MUST

With bow ..A MUST for me too...

I look for precision acc. from 26 - 40 yards and the range finder allows me to make precision shots when bow hunting...I use it to range trees and I always use it at ranges when I know my arrow is falling off..

Keep your range finder close to your neck in order to minimize movement..

When you by one don't go cheap...I would recommend a Nikon or a Leoupold. Stay small..and don't buy a bulky bushnell...regardless of name brand...keep it small in size.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Needed? No. I don't care for them. It takes to much of the hunt out of It to me. JMHO.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Steve in his case...he's telling you that it can take away from the art of hunting...and that judging the animals distance is part of the hunt..and part of your inner self....

Am I on track Steve??. Thank you for keeping me down to those BASICS..I getoff sometimes

I need to call you buddy. You're Larry, and I'm MO...and Curly is in Wisc. following the tracks of the big one in the snow.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just so everyone knows I'm not ripping anyone who uses one, It's just not the type of hunting I would be doing. Anyone else can do as they please, It's there time In the woods and whatever works for them/you. Yes Brian, your right on!

Give me a ring one of these days, you still have my number?

Old 12-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Other than my Bow, arrows, & broadheads it is my most important piece of equipment.

If I still shot a recurve I doubt I would even want one though.

Dan

Quick Reply: Rangefinder....... Needed? Or just something else to carry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.