Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Passing up bucks >

Passing up bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Passing up bucks

Old 12-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Passing up bucks

I was talking with TeeJay a few hours back and he asked If I was still holding out for a P&Y buck yet? I told him It depends what woods I'm hunting. The main area I hunt I'll never Intentionally shoot a buck under 125" unless he's an old buck on the down slide. I did tell TeeJay that I probably would shoot any buck In the other area that's In back of my house that I rarely hunt. Is this wrong? Or what about going out of state and shooting the 1st little buck a person see's on Public land? Is It wrong to manage your woods but not every other area? I don't think It's wrong unless your hunting someone's property who requests you not to shoot anything that's so and so size or age.

Curious on your thoughts.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Passing up bucks

If it's legal, it's OK.

You are the one that has to be happy.

There may be some circumstances that may cause this to be wrong such as going against the landowners wishes etc. But you get the idea.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Public land I'll likely shoot whatever makes me feel good be it a spike or a booner. Its pretty much a waste of time to try to manage. At least on the lands I've hunted. As far as going from one property to the next I guess it all depends on the potential of the land. If I know there is a good deer population and my odds of shooting a better deer are good I'll likely pass the small guys. If I'm not likely to have anotrher shot opportunity all season I'll more than likely take the shot. I would have to get to know the land and then make the call.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% with Greg.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Steve, I've always set different goals depending on when/where I am hunting.
I usually set my Goals according to what I feel like is roaming around

I don't see a problem with that type of hunting. Of course if I'm hunting someone else's property what they say goes.

In any of the areas I hunt I won't kill a PH Buck. There are just too many does here and they need thinned out. Meat is meat. I killed multiple does this year, and they are put in the freezer ASAP. I don't even bother taking pictures of Does any more.
I really don't know anyone that'd be interested in seeing them anyway[8D]

Dan
Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's ok to shoot whatever you want. If you set your standard at 130" and hunting a piece that you'll never see a 130" buck on then it wouldn't make much sense holding out for one. You have 2 choices. Lower your standards on that piece of land or find other land that will give you that opportunity. Personally I wouldn't be hunting a piece of land that didn't hold bucks that met my standard. Just no interest in shooting small bucks anymore no matter where I am. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but I'm not sticking one just because "he's a good buck for around here". If others feel like that buck was a great buck for a particular land and it makes them happy they killed it... good for them. Job well done.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Schultzy,

I really think that you should let me go with you and thenyou hold out for a 125". You pass 'em up and I'll drop 'em.

Seriously, there'd be nothing wrong with taking a smaller buck on the other property.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot what you like as long as youlike what you shoot.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Spike

Schultzy I think GregH nailed it. You need to be happy with what you choose to do
Old 12-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everything doesn't have to be about management. I'll adjust my "standards" according to the area I am hunting or the landowners wishes. BUT since I only get one buck tag I still wouldn't pop a buck on a lesser property just to do so if I still had a lot of time to hunt in a good spot.

Quick Reply: Passing up bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.