Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Passing up bucks >

Passing up bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Passing up bucks

Old 12-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Passing up bucks

ORIGINAL: GregH

If it's legal, it's OK.

You are the one that has to be happy.

There may be some circumstances that may cause this to be wrong such as going against the landowners wishes etc. But you get the idea.
Greg is right on. Do what makes you happy. I shot a 6pt Buck on the last day of PA gun season this year that I would have let walk any other year. But this day I was with some old hunting Buddy's and we were doing some small drives like the old days . I was on stand and they pushed out this buck and I shot it. Man!! we hooted and holler and high five and it made for a great day and hunt with some old friends! Was it the buck I was looking to shot this year? NO! But this 6pt buck at that moment made me and my Buddy's real happy! It was a great day! Good Luck with your Buck!!

Hatchet jack
Old 12-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rules are rules there slick! You cant lower your standards just cant. Me on the other hand 100" and its dead! I wish I had those 120" guys I let walk back.[:@]
Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve,
I don't see anything wrong with that thought process. I've held off of smaller bucks for years, but I'll tell you I still do get VERY tempted!!! If you're happy with the animal you shoot, it's none of mine or anyone else's business unless it's illegal or against a landowner/club's wishes.

Good Hunting,
Doug
Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I agree 100% with Greg.
Me to! Shoot what makes ya happy!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not wrong, its whatever you decide imo. Like others said, whatever makes you happy
Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trust me If I shoot any deer (small buck, big buck, fawn, doe) I'll be more then proud, the pics I'll post up will be proof of that!! I was just curious on your thoughts If It's wrong In your eye's to manage one woods but not have a care In the world In another woods, that's all I was asking.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:42 PM

I agree with everyone else. What you decide to legally shoot where and when is your call, assuming there isn't some sort of agreement in place on the property you are hunting. I don't see anything wrong with managing properties differently. All comes down to shooting what makes you happy or fits your goals at that time.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Trust me If I shoot any deer (small buck, big buck, fawn, doe) I'll be more then proud, the pics I'll post up will be proof of that!! I was just curious on your thoughts If It's wrong In your eye's to manage one woods but not have a care In the world In another woods, that's all I was asking.

If the other landowner doesn't care about horn management,then why should you?

Manage your land,he will manage his the way he wants.IF,you don't like shooting small bucks,then don't.At that point,this is a very personal thing and should be dealt with as such.

Time comes into play when going somewhere else to hunt.It may not be reasonable to expect a book deer in a week in another area,so,you shoot the best deer you feel you can take in that amount of time and still be happy with the accomplishment.

Greg pretty much nailed it.[8D]
Old 12-27-2008, 08:10 AM

I agree...but some public land tracks have size limits. I know not everyone obeys these rules, but if you want to really increase the quality of the population we got to follow size limits. I personally wouldn't shoot a buck that is less than 15" spread. Cuz, hopefully he will be bigger next year. As, far as behind your house, whatever suites your fancy. I would try to use some sort of QDM behind your house, just for fun!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is true,some areas have restrictions.I personally don't mind having a small wildlife area that has a size restriction.You still have the rest of the state to shoot what you want.

Quick Reply: Passing up bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.