Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 help on Oregon Elk hunting >

help on Oregon Elk hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help on Oregon Elk hunting

Old 04-08-2003, 03:34 PM

Default help on Oregon Elk hunting

Does anyone know some general locations to hunt elk in Oregon? I' m moving to the Portland area to go to dental school, and was wondering if there are some good elk locations near that area. I am looking for places I can go on my own or with a buddy without having to hire a guide. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 04-08-2003, 04:53 PM

Default RE: help on Oregon Elk hunting

Depending on which side of portland your talking, about an hr west you' ll be with elk. About an hr to hr 1/2 to the S.E. you will also find elk. If you want lots of elk, go to eastern ore. Oh yea, get into shape it' s very rough country here! Don' t get me wrong, there' s lot' s of easy hunting, but then thats where most of the people will be. And lots of them. If you don' t want people, then pick a canyon. There' s lots of them to. Get some maps and do some searches. Hope that helps good luck........fishon
Old 04-09-2003, 10:20 AM

fishon01,

Thanks for the tips. I do prefer places where no one else is around or very few people at least. I most likely won' t hunt Oregon until the 2004 season so that should give me some time to research. When you say eastern Oregon, how far east are you talking about?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

hollbenj

There is alot of good country. There is plenty of land where you can just get away from people and hunt. If you don' t mind getting away from your truck and acutally hunting, you are in luck. The majority of hunters don' t stray to far from roads and wonder why they never see any game. shoot me an email if you would like some better information.

Andrew

[email protected]
Old 04-10-2003, 07:06 PM

hollbenj you can get an oregon wildlife map from fish and game for i think 5.95. Shows all hunt units and blm land. You can spend 2hrs driving or drive all day. Say to the idaho border. And you will drive right through elk country. Especially pendleton to baker city. Just depends where you want to go. hope this helps .....fishon