Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need comments on Peep sight >

Need comments on Peep sight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need comments on Peep sight

Old 04-08-2003, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need comments on Peep sight

Went to pro today and had a few things done to tune my bow. A new string was added so i needed to have the peep re-done. I had a small inline circle peep which has always worked great. The pro suggested a different style which included a cord (sorry, dont' know much about these things). I said the old one has worked well and I liked it, so he installed the old one. He goofed around with it, making various adjustments so it would open correctly, and after 10 minutes, got it to work so...so.

He said as the string stretches, it should spin around perffectly, but in the mean time it works. If it proves troublesome, bring it back. Should I have gotten the corded one? What might be wrong with mine? It works, but it is not as clear or aligned as it used to be.

thanks
Old 04-08-2003, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Need comments on Peep sight

Sorry I can' t help you, I don' t use a peep.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:16 PM

I have never had much luck with the peeps with no rubber tubes attached. I could never get them to align right. I use a C peep. The advantage of the rubber tube is that it pulls your sight to face the right way every time. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:15 AM

i have used both types of peeps and i actually like the one like you have now better. although they are just a personal preference. the rubber cord will pull the peep to the same position everytime, but it is also adds a little noise to the bow with rubber tube. plus sometimes the rubber tube breaks (happened in my case) and then you are really messed up until you take it back to the bow shop and get the tubbing replaced and the peep reset. i currently have just the circle inline peep like you described and have had absolutely no problems with it. the problem that you are having or that you possibly could have with it moving is that with the new string every time you shoot the bow the sting is stretching and that is moving the peep, my bow shop suggests that on a new bow or with a new string to shoot the bow a couple hundred times before you ever get a peep put on there. then your string will be settled and broke in. there is no prob. with putting it in now it is just that as the string stretches you may have to keep adjusting it. but it is nothing to really worry about b/c you still have plenty of time to get it settled it.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:35 AM

The peep you have now sounds like possibly the fletcher or something similar. The guy at the shop left it slightly twisted in the direction of the twist so that as the string stretches with the first few hundred shots, it will rotate around some and then hopefully be right inline.

These peeps work great for target bows. I dont really care for them on a hunting setup however. If you come to full draw on a large buck and the peep is out of alignment, you' re in trouble. At a target range, 3d shoot,etc you can let off and rub the string between your fingers enough to get it back usually.

Even with a winners choice string that isn' t supposed to stretch, fluctuating temperatures that can affect a hunting bow will cause the string to expand and contract slightly, which affect final peep position.

The style with the " cord" uses rubber peep tubing to rotate the peep into alignment every time. If you aren' t worrried about the few fps loss due to the tubing, I' d use that method for a hunting bow.

Good Luck
Old 04-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Spike

I installed the No Peep on my bow last weekend and was able to remove my peep site completely. I' ve only used it for a few days and it takes some getting used to but it removes a lot of complexity added to your setup by using a peep site. My groups are actually better with the No Peep than with a peep. It occured to me, once I had removed the peep, that I always had to adjust my shooting a little bit to find my pins through the peep site. The No Peep is based on the concept of ensuring that you anchor consistently every time. What ends up happening is that you look at the No Peep for the first several shots and then you just know what feels right and you don' t really rely on it that much. Just my 2 cents worth...
Will
Old 04-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tealboy, the peeps with the rubber tube aligner work great but I can promise you that rubber tube (string) will break at the worse possible time, dont' forget murphy' s law, and it cost me a deer two years ago.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:13 PM

The tubing is rubber so it does break down over time. Its very cheap to buy a long piece of it and replace once or even twice a year if you' re that worried about it. Its very simple to slide onto the peep and tie onto your cable.

I haven' t yet tried a no-peep, but I have been thinking about possbily giving them a try.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:07 PM

I have used 4 different set ups.

1. I have one like you have that is on the string at a 45 degree angle when the string is at rest. The string is seperate into two halves and hold the peep. Then when you draw the string back and it is a 45 degree angle the peep is perpendicular to your line of sight. I like this type for target shooting. I can use varying sizes to meet my fancy. The secret is to get a string that won' t stretch!

2. There is a peep sight that lays flat (or perpendicular) to your string. The string is split in thirds or fourth and go around the peepsight to hold it in. This style is more condusive to your style of string which stretches. The string can stretch and twists and you will still be able to see out of it regardless of how it comes back. I used this for hunting before I got a No-peep.

3. The string style uses a rubber cord to align the peep as you draw back the bow. The disadvantage is the rubber could break

4. No peep. It is an alignment device that does not utilize a peep in your string. The no peep ensures a consistent anchor point while verifying you aren' t torquing the bow. It mounts to the riser next to the sight. It is hard to explain but it works very well

Out of all 4 styles I use only two. One for target (3D) and the other for hunting.

Target: the first style peep I described. I believe the brand name is fletcher. I use the small size

Hunting: NO-peep. Low light conditions are not a problem. I get good accuracy.

Old 04-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Go to www.timberline-archery.com and read about the no-peep.
This is a most impressive piece of equipment and a great training aid to better and more consistent shooting!

Quick Reply: Need comments on Peep sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.