Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting only bucks irresponsible? >

Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

Also....It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE for a deer herd to have more than a 1:4 buck:doe ratio (and they won't be able to sustain THAT).
Then evidently we should have run out of deer in many places decades ago. But alas, we have more now than we ever did. Just making up numbers to to prove a poiint is about as rediculous as saying more fawn does than bucks die. You can sustain a herd with more than 1:4, we've been doing it all over the country since before most of us were born. And don't tell me you can't still have a quality buck with an out of balance herd. If you believe that tell it to all the folks that hunt the Milk River. Too many people aquaint sound herd management to big horns. The bottom line should not necessarily be ratio but carrying capacity of the range, year round without supplement. You can shoot deer to keep numbers in check. It's not necessarily irresponsible if someone chooses not to shoot a doe if the herd can sustain. If you have deer walking all over the place and over browsing that's one thing. Just because you don't have all big horns and see more bucks is another.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter
It is my belief that the Dept of wildlife for the particular state should structure the seasons and bag limits such that a balance is maintained that accounts for deer herd health, habitat health, hunter desires, and human/deer conflict. (I won’t discuss what defines each of those as that is meant for another debate) Now, once the Dept of Wildlife structures that system, it falls ultimately to the hunters to execute it. In some circles, I believe the hunters traditional mindset is counterproductive to reaching these goals stated above. Some places are worse than others, and honestly sometimes the dept of wildlife should share in the “blame” for those beliefs for allowing that traditional mindset to perpetuate for too long. Through results over time and education these ways of thinking are slowly changing for the better (IMO), but there is still a long ways to go in some areas.

Now back to my original statement, the large scale practice of shooting bucks only (and even worse of shooting EVERY buck) and allowing populations to explode is irresponsible on both parties account. BUT when it comes down to an individual’s choice of what to pull the trigger on, I’m all for letting it be solely up to them. BUT, I would hope they make that choice with the grand scheme of deer management taken into consideration and not just their own narrow minded selfish views.
I agree with the bolded statement. This is something many hunters in MI feel strongly about. They don't want to be told what to shoot. The MIDNR has issued bag limits to reduce the deer population in the southern LP. Problem is, the majority of hunters are not complying. There are still more bucks (the number is usually around 60%-65% of total harvest every year)being killed because you can still legally shoot two bucks. The DNR is giving hunters the means to reduce the population (thousands of antlerless tags go unsold every year), but the hunters are not helping. The DNR would have to issue new bag limits if they ever wanted the population to reach the desired goal. The DNR doesn't want to do that. They want hunters to make the right choice when pulling the trigger...but it's not happening.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes BUT, someone has to set the rules and regulations for the betterment of both herd and recreation. That's the DNR's responsibility. If in fact they need to lower deer numbers they have to tell people what and where they can shoot it. If the current rules don't do what they want, then they should change them. It's not that big a deal to tell someone you can only shoot one buck for the next couple years, and OH, by the way, here's a free doe tag, shoot a doe for us.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil
It's not that big a deal to tell someone you can only shoot one buck for the next couple years, and OH, by the way, here's a free doe tag, shoot a doe for us.
It is in MI. The DNR and NRC have considered it, and the majority of hunters have fought very hard against it the last few years. It received such resentment that I'm not sure it will be up for discussion again anytime soon.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's not that big a deal to tell someone you can only shoot one buck for the next couple years, and OH, by the way, here's a free doe tag, shoot a doe for us.
It's a HUGE deal in PA too.
While we are already limited to one buck, the Antler restriction they imposed was met with FURIOUS opposition and 7 some years later many people still hate it. The doe numbers have been knocked down in many places and there is 10x as more complaining about thatas well. Guys in this state want to shoot that 4" spike over a doe so bad it ain't even funny.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does anyone out there think shooting only bucks is irresponsible as a hunter in your area?
In some area's I believe It Is.

Guys in this state want to shoot that 4" spike over a doe so bad it ain't even funny.
Lots off truth to this In my area/section where I hunt. It sure makes It tough doesn't It Ryan?[>:]