HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shooting only bucks irresponsible? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/279233-shooting-only-bucks-irresponsible.html)

Vito1 12-19-2008 12:17 PM

Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

Does anyone out there think shooting only bucks is irresponsible as a hunter in your area? I can only speak for my area which is overpopulated. Estimated 35/sq mile with 20/sq mile being ideal. I know of hunters that have taken two bucks without killinga doe and no plans to kill any before the season is over. There were 14,000 antlerless tags available for this area at $3/tag with a limit of 5/hunter. This year like every year, there are thousands of tags left over.

Now what about areas of underpopulation? If you can legally kill two bucks, should you limit yourself to one or none until the population rebounds?

If your population isideal, should you killa doe for every buck you kill? Assuming it's legal of course.

GMMAT 12-19-2008 12:51 PM

RE: Shooting only bucks irresponsible?

I asked this question a while back.....and it got some lukewarm response. I hope yours does better. I asked simply if you (the HNI community) were part of the solution or part of the problem (using your criteria).

usmc_hunter 12-19-2008 01:21 PM

it is verry irresponsible to kill only bucks! you have to kill does to manage the herd. if you do not harvest does then you can be sure that your area will be over populated with young deer and you will not have quality buck either.

wallhangr 12-19-2008 01:28 PM

Ifwe are speaking stricly from the "steward" soap box, it seems it would always be irresposible to shoot only bucks regardless of your population. Unless of course there has been an extensive slaughter of does for a period of time.

Thiswas the case in a couple of conservation areas close to me, they now have had "Buck Only" rules for the past 2 seasons. Hunters were allowed to shoot unlimited does for a couple seasons and that was the result.

2FNSLO 12-19-2008 01:34 PM

To reduce the herd, kill does. To allow the herd to get larger, kill bucks. To see larger bucks, kill mature deer and get the buck to doe ratio close to 1 to 1 or 1 buck to 2 does. At least around here we have seen very few mature bucks. There are entirely too many does so there is very little competition for the bucks. Didn't really see any moving / looking for does this season.

BTW, the only thing that qualifies me to answer this is that I have an internet connection and the ability to type. :D

Vito1 12-19-2008 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: 2FNSLO
BTW, the only thing that qualifies me to answer this is that I have an internet connection and the ability to type. :D
Now that is a great line.

nchawkeye 12-19-2008 02:05 PM

Most don't own the land they hunt, so many don't try to improve the herd or habitat...They don't have a vested interest...In addition, some hunter don't eat what they kill...I don't understand this as this is actually why humans started hunting...I enjoy cooking a good meal with the game I take almost as much as the actual hunt...Finally, some hunters kill bucks only to feed their ego...

Now...this is all assuming that you live in anarea with plenty of does and the law allows you to take multiple deer...The older I get, the more I talk myself into passing on bucks...Most bucks that I see hunters kill should still be walking as they are "average" at best...

davidmil 12-19-2008 02:38 PM

NOPE.

buttonbuckmaster 12-19-2008 03:04 PM

I may be in the minority, but if I HAD to shoot a doe, I would be in serious trouble. I've had one in range all year (shot her) and none last year. Almost all I see are bucks. This is over 3 different properties,not bragging because most are dinks, just the way it is.

mossberghunter93 12-19-2008 03:09 PM

well i have taken 3 bucks and 0 does off of my parents 77 acres in 4 yrs. i just can seem to get my sights on any does[:@]