Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb >

Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Old 12-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Ok guys, I just got mine in and was wondering what modifications you may have made to yours?

I can tell right away that I do not care for the backpack straps and the stabilizer straps that hold the 2 pieces together while climbing/hunting. I have a few remedies for these items. Just wanted to hear what you all have done. Please post pics if you have em.

Thanks, LT
Old 12-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Backpack straps don't bother me because it carries so well, but I am going to add some padded straps anyway along with the footrests. I have the old sling type seat, going to order this net seat:

Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Two I'd do right away...

1) go to www.graywolfwoolens.com and buy the neoprene backpack straps for it, and

2) take out the screws that attach the armsto the bottom platform whichcurrentlystop your bottom traction belt... flip the screws over and your belt will pass on through and it won't prohibit you from getting in smaller trees.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:44 AM
Dominant Buck

1. Get the GWW padded straps. I never even put the stock ones on my stand.
2. The straps that connect the upper to the lowr are fine.
3. I leave my upper in the locked-out positionall the time. It still packs fine....and it saves a little time and possiblenoise when setting up in the dark.
4. Make sure (when you set up) that your upper is angled "up" a little....and your platform is level. It'll make for MUCH more comfortable sits. You'll also want to experiment with differing distances between the upper and lower to know what's most comfortable for YOU.
5. Set it up in a tree in your yard and go 3-4' up. Work on adjusting your lower platform while you're "up". You'll appreciate being able to do this when you mis-judge from the ground on your settings.
6. I'd suggest the LW saddle bag. For the price...it's a good deal. I carry a pruning saw, tether, haul line and bow hook in mine. I carry nothing else to stand (other than me and my bow).

Set it up in youryard a few times to come up with your "system". If not.....this stand can be frustrating as heck the first few times. Now.....it's a breeze.I keep my belts all the way in when packing.If you do this.....you'll learn how to look at a tree's size and know if you have to let one side out a little (it'll make sense, soon). It's a50/50 proposition with me. I had a spot I wanted to get into....and there was one SMALL tree. The stand worked fine. I'm not sure I even wanna try what Greg's suggesting.....lol. No offense, Greg.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Work on adjusting your lower platform while you're "up". You'll appreciate being able to do this when you mis-judge from the ground on your settings.
I'd still like to know how Greg and Jeff do this. I've had a LW climber for around 7-8 yrs. and still haven't figured out how you guys do this without losing control of the platform. Guess I am not as agile as I used to be[&:].
Old 12-19-2008, 04:22 AM
Dominant Buck

OK Coug....step by step.

1. Sit on the sit and climb bar.
2. Dangle legs out to each side of the platform. Kind "grab" the platform between your dangled legs.
3. Cinch your side straps (the ones that connect the upper and lower) down. Platform can't really go anywhere, now).
4. Undo the cam on the side you want to tighten....and just DO IT!

I can also do this with my knees in the seat.....but the way I described is safer.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE TIED OFF WHEN YOU DO THIS! I am all the time.....but I know people who don't tie off while they ascend. If I wasn't tied off.....I wouldn't attempt this.....ever.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

2. Dangle legs out to each side of the platform. Kind "grab" the platform between your dangled legs.
To the "outside" of the platform and not where you place your feet to climb correct? Guess I had better tie off cause I never do while going up or down.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes. To the outside (for support while you make the adjustment). Like I said....if you're not tied off.....don't attempt this.

Not condoning NOT being tied off....but I "suppose" you could wait til you got to your apex.....tied off....and then do this.

Sorry LT (mini-hi jack).....but you'll be asking about this OR figuring out a better way. If you find one let me know!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of the tips on modifications are spot on. The other thing I did to mine was to wrap the sitting bar in foam pipe insulation and then I wrapped the insulation in duck tape. It makes for more comfortable climbing and even quieter packing. It also helps the two parts of the stand pack together more tightly.

As far as the adjusting the platform in the air thing goes. It is not as hard as it sounds. Just make SURE you are tied off.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

I'll never figure out why someone would spend that kind of money on a stand that isn't absolutely perfect as is.

Quick Reply: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.