HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/279155-modifications-lone-wolf-sit-climb.html)

LouisianaTomkat 12-18-2008 09:14 PM

Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Ok guys, I just got mine in and was wondering what modifications you may have made to yours?

I can tell right away that I do not care for the backpack straps and the stabilizer straps that hold the 2 pieces together while climbing/hunting. I have a few remedies for these items. Just wanted to hear what you all have done. Please post pics if you have em.

Thanks, LT

Cougar Mag 12-18-2008 09:53 PM

RE: Modifications? Lone Wolf Sit and Climb

Backpack straps don't bother me because it carries so well, but I am going to add some padded straps anyway along with the footrests. I have the old sling type seat, going to order this net seat:

Greg / MO 12-18-2008 11:02 PM

Two I'd do right away...

1) go to www.graywolfwoolens.com and buy the neoprene backpack straps for it, and

2) take out the screws that attach the armsto the bottom platform whichcurrentlystop your bottom traction belt... flip the screws over and your belt will pass on through and it won't prohibit you from getting in smaller trees.

GMMAT 12-19-2008 03:44 AM

1. Get the GWW padded straps. I never even put the stock ones on my stand.
2. The straps that connect the upper to the lowr are fine.
3. I leave my upper in the locked-out positionall the time. It still packs fine....and it saves a little time and possiblenoise when setting up in the dark.
4. Make sure (when you set up) that your upper is angled "up" a little....and your platform is level. It'll make for MUCH more comfortable sits. You'll also want to experiment with differing distances between the upper and lower to know what's most comfortable for YOU.
5. Set it up in a tree in your yard and go 3-4' up. Work on adjusting your lower platform while you're "up". You'll appreciate being able to do this when you mis-judge from the ground on your settings.
6. I'd suggest the LW saddle bag. For the price...it's a good deal. I carry a pruning saw, tether, haul line and bow hook in mine. I carry nothing else to stand (other than me and my bow).

Set it up in youryard a few times to come up with your "system". If not.....this stand can be frustrating as heck the first few times. Now.....it's a breeze.I keep my belts all the way in when packing.If you do this.....you'll learn how to look at a tree's size and know if you have to let one side out a little (it'll make sense, soon). It's a50/50 proposition with me. I had a spot I wanted to get into....and there was one SMALL tree. The stand worked fine. I'm not sure I even wanna try what Greg's suggesting.....lol. No offense, Greg.;)

Cougar Mag 12-19-2008 04:12 AM

Work on adjusting your lower platform while you're "up". You'll appreciate being able to do this when you mis-judge from the ground on your settings.
I'd still like to know how Greg and Jeff do this. I've had a LW climber for around 7-8 yrs. and still haven't figured out how you guys do this without losing control of the platform. Guess I am not as agile as I used to be[&:].

GMMAT 12-19-2008 04:22 AM

OK Coug....step by step.

1. Sit on the sit and climb bar.
2. Dangle legs out to each side of the platform. Kind "grab" the platform between your dangled legs.
3. Cinch your side straps (the ones that connect the upper and lower) down. Platform can't really go anywhere, now).
4. Undo the cam on the side you want to tighten....and just DO IT!:D

I can also do this with my knees in the seat.....but the way I described is safer.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE TIED OFF WHEN YOU DO THIS! I am all the time.....but I know people who don't tie off while they ascend. If I wasn't tied off.....I wouldn't attempt this.....ever.

Cougar Mag 12-19-2008 04:28 AM

2. Dangle legs out to each side of the platform. Kind "grab" the platform between your dangled legs.
To the "outside" of the platform and not where you place your feet to climb correct? Guess I had better tie off cause I never do while going up or down.

GMMAT 12-19-2008 04:42 AM

Yes. To the outside (for support while you make the adjustment). Like I said....if you're not tied off.....don't attempt this.

Not condoning NOT being tied off....but I "suppose" you could wait til you got to your apex.....tied off....and then do this.

Sorry LT (mini-hi jack).....but you'll be asking about this OR figuring out a better way. If you find one let me know!:)

Brett/IL 12-19-2008 05:50 AM

All of the tips on modifications are spot on. The other thing I did to mine was to wrap the sitting bar in foam pipe insulation and then I wrapped the insulation in duck tape. It makes for more comfortable climbing and even quieter packing. It also helps the two parts of the stand pack together more tightly.

As far as the adjusting the platform in the air thing goes. It is not as hard as it sounds. Just make SURE you are tied off.

M.Magis 12-19-2008 06:09 AM

I'll never figure out why someone would spend that kind of money on a stand that isn't absolutely perfect as is.

LouisianaTomkat 12-19-2008 06:27 AM

1) go to www.graywolfwoolens.com and buy the neoprene backpack straps for it, and

2) take out the screws that attach the armsto the bottom platform whichcurrentlystop your bottom traction belt... flip the screws over and your belt will pass on through and it won't prohibit you from getting in smaller trees.
These will be done in short order.

2. The straps that connect the upper to the lowr are fine.
Not so sure yet that I like these. (Too long) I may just roll up or cut off the excess.

4. Make sure (when you set up) that your upper is angled "up" a little....and your platform is level. It'll make for MUCH more comfortable sits. You'll also want to experiment with differing distances between the upper and lower to know what's most comfortable for YOU.
Never had much trouble with this on any climber. I "always" puta decent angle on the top and bottom sections before climbing unless the tree does not look very tapered going up.

6. I'd suggest the LW saddle bag. For the price...it's a good deal. I carry a pruning saw, tether, haul line and bow hook in mine. I carry nothing else to stand (other than me and my bow).
I may have to try one of these, as my backpack still smells like doe pee.[:@]

The other thing I did to mine was to wrap the sitting bar in foam pipe insulation and then I wrapped the insulation in duck tape.
I had already considered this. I really do not like the shiny glare that bar puts off in the light. I will at least be applying the reusable camo hockey tape to this for sure.

I'll never figure out why someone would spend that kind of money on a stand that isn't absolutely perfect as is.
Stands are never bought "perfect". I started out with Baker and Amacker. I have used 3 different Summits. (Still like the Summits) I have not seen a stand for sale yet (including Lock-ons) that I did not modify somehow. When you find the perfect stand for less money, ($263.00 shipped)let me know. Thus my thread topic.;)

Thanks Guys, LT

M.Magis 12-19-2008 06:31 AM

When you find the perfect stand for less money, ($263.00 shipped)let me know.
For a LN Sit and Climb? I'll admit, that's an outstanding price.

muzzyman88 12-19-2008 06:32 AM

I just started using a LW this fall. I won this bugger in a gun raffle.:D I haven't even thought about using my Summit anymore. I love this thing! Anyone want to buy a Summit Cobra X4? :D

I haven't made any mods to mine yet. But during the off-season I'm going to evaluate some things and see what I can make work better. But as others already stated, a good set of backpack straps will do wonders for comfort.

As far as the straps that connect the two peices together. IMO, they are the best configuration out there.

I may try out the net seat as well. The 08 seat isn't bad at all though.

LouisianaTomkat 12-19-2008 06:33 AM

For a LN Sit and Climb? I'll admit, that's an outstanding price.
Let's just say, I was blessed.;)

Anyone want to buy a Summit Cobra X4? :D
I hear ya muzzy. I have a Summit Openshot that I will be parting with real soon. Think I will hang on to my Viper for a while and let my brother use it.

As far as the straps that connect the two peices together. IMO, they are the best configuration out there.
Oh don't get me wrong, I like the design/usage. I just think the straps are too long for me, and I will have too silence those hard plastic connectors.[:@]

LT

early in 12-19-2008 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

As great as the LW is, there is no "perfect" stand.;)

lpv77 12-19-2008 06:45 AM

I would not modify the straps used between both halves. I am 6 ft and have mine at the very ends of the buckle while climbing up and down. IT will prevent the mishap of losing your platform and being stranded in the tree. When at get to height I sit down lift my feet off the platform and tighten the straps. When you stand the entire set is rock solid. I then wrap the excess up so its not blowing in the wind.
I was also thinking of having mine dipped in predator camo this yr. MAybe a waste of money, but I feel the stand or any stand sticks out way too much.
Padded straps a must! I tuck tthem in the platform so they arent flapping around.
I am definitley going to flip those screws around Greg. Great idea!
I also have to change out my hardware. the damn bolts are constantly getting loose! My only gripe with the stand!
I was thinking of putting the net seat on. I am undecided though. the back padding is nice.
Footrest are a must. huge comfort increase!
I also have a big caribiner with a bungee attached to it. I put the caribiner through my packs top grab handle and hook it to the center of the platforms "v" for packing purposes. The bungee I use to strap down excess clothing while walking.
Lone wolfs customer service is great. Any problems I have had they were right on top of!
As far as my hardware concern... any suggestions?

LouisianaTomkat 12-19-2008 06:51 AM

I also have to change out my hardware. the damn bolts are constantly getting loose! My only gripe with the stand!
Not sure on this, but I would definately look into it if I were you.

Footrest are a must. huge comfort increase!
I picked these up before I even received my stand. They will go on first. You can never go wrong taking the pressure off the back of your legs.

I would not modify the straps used between both halves. I am 6 ft and have mine at the very ends of the buckle while climbing up and down.
Are you using as a Sit and Climb, or as hand climber?

LT

lpv77 12-19-2008 06:52 AM

Im using the sit and climb

early in 12-19-2008 06:56 AM

Most of the suggestions I've heard are very good, except (andI'm not picking on you) GMMAT telling you to put your feet "outside" of the platform when adjusting the angle of the platform (this is not an easy move!)once you're in the air. Do NOT do it this way! You're just inviting problems doing this.Trust me, you want your feet in the same position as when you're climbing.It gives you much better control of the platform.I've done this MANY times over7 years of using this stand.
Here are a few other little, but good, idea's for your stand. First I took a flat file and filed the "gripper" (seat and platform) to give it a "no joke" grip on the tree (especially when they're wet). The platformcomes from a mold, and isn't that pointy.Second, I painted (red) the outer edge of the platform so I can tell (even in the dark) where the edge is.I also added a piece of tubing which I slit lenght wise and added it to the platform to keep the two sections from making noise against each other when packing it. As previously said, added padded backpack straps for more comfy carrying, and I use the Wolf Jaws to hold my split limb bow (Vectrix) in the bow holder.

GMMAT 12-19-2008 07:12 AM

I would not modify the straps used between both halves. I am 6 ft and have mine at the very ends of the buckle while climbing up and down.
Ditto

When you stand the entire set is rock solid. I then wrap the excess up so its not blowing in the wind.

Exactly

I was also thinking of having mine dipped in predator camo this yr. MAybe a waste of money, but I feel the stand or any stand sticks out way too much.

When Matt and Rob were here....I just hit mine with a little camo paint to break it up a little. Works fine.

Most of the suggestions I've heard are very good, except (andI'm not picking on you) GMMAT telling you to put your feet "outside" of the platform when adjusting the angle of the platform (this is not an easy move!)once you're in the air. Do NOT do it this way! You're just inviting problems doing this.Trust me, you want your feet in the same position as when you're climbing. I've done this MANY times over7 years of using this stand.
Really? Coming from someone who admits he doesn't tie off on the way up....I don't lend much credence to this. I'd like to see you contort to making the cam adjustment with your feet in the climb position (lovked in). Tell me how that works for ya. With your strpas cinched up Where can your stand go? Nowhere.

Also....be careful adding anything (tape?) to your stand that can hold scent. That's why I don't do it.

early in 12-19-2008 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Ditto

When you stand the entire set is rock solid. I then wrap the excess up so its not blowing in the wind.

Exactly

When Matt and Rob were here....I just hit mine with a little camo paint to break it up a little. Works fine.

Most of the suggestions I've heard are very good, except (andI'm not picking on you) GMMAT telling you to put your feet "outside" of the platform when adjusting the angle of the platform (this is not an easy move!)once you're in the air. Do NOT do it this way! You're just inviting problems doing this.Trust me, you want your feet in the same position as when you're climbing. I've done this MANY times over7 years of using this stand.
Really? Coming from someone who admits he doesn't tie off on the way up....I don't lend much credence to this. I'd like to see you contort to making the cam adjustment with your feet in the climb position (lovked in). Tell me how that works for ya. With your strpas cinched up Where can your stand go? Nowhere.

Also....be careful adding anything (tape?) to your stand that can hold scent. That's why I don't do it.

First off, what in the hell does me not being tiedoff have to do with the price of tea in China? You're starting yourcrap again Jeff, and it'll only come back to haunt you in the long run. Secondly, I have no problem at all doing that way. It's the right way. Like I said, much better control. It just takes some practice. I know you've climbed with your LW a whole 80 whatever times, and that you're an expert with the use of this stand, and I have no business second guessing you, but I've lost track of the number of times I've used it over 7 years. Anything else?:D

GMMAT 12-19-2008 07:34 AM

EI....

It's like the guy who tells me the proper way to clean his gun.....then tells me he does it while it's loaded.

I kinda thought LT might wanna consider the source, ya know?

It's like taking advice on hunting Alberta. Who would you wanna get it from? Would you lend more credence to the guy going up there shooting 160's.....or the guy taking 100" deer?

Just sounds funny when a guy saves up all year to go to the Bunny Ranch......talks it up for a solid year......

.........then goes out there and he's tickled to death to come home with a midget's phone number.

If you're climbing and not tieing off......you're cleaning that loaded gun.

But good luck to ya.;)

early in 12-19-2008 08:30 AM

I won't dignify your childishness with an answer. Just grow up buddy.:D

lpv77 12-19-2008 08:32 AM

You guys are like women too funny! Any how, I too adjust the platform with ease by my feet on the outside. I feel you can control it better that way. I am guilty of doing it without being tied off. I will try to make a conscious effort to tie off from now on.

GMMAT 12-19-2008 08:33 AM

EI it's not childishness (is that a word?). I'm just stating that "your way" is unsafe no matter how you do it. That's why I said consider the source.

Greg / MO 12-19-2008 08:41 AM

I skimmed this to catch up (I'm supposed to be working; got a report due soon! [8D])... so if I missed a response, forgive me...

LT, DO NOT cut off the excess tether straps that connect the top platform to the bottom... what you want to do is keep your two sections tethered together while you're climbing, and they give you JUST enough strap length as it is. Now I don't own a Sit N' Climb -- I've got the Hand Climber -- but on that model, they're also used to cinch the two sections together during packing. You can fold up the excess at that point and stick it beneath the bungee cord.

Cougar Mag, the way I adjust my stand while at hunting height is easy as pie. Obviously -- as Jeff mentioned -- I'm hooked up, and I sit on the top section and first put a little slack in the tether straps tying the top portion to the bottom section (I've found that I CANNOT do this if they remain cinched up as tight as I normally keep them; you'll HAVE to put a few inches of slack in them). I then hook my HEELS over the front edge of the platform and lift up, giving the traction belt going around the tree some slack. I then reach down, release the cam-lock buckle, feed the traction belt in to where it should be, and then tighten the cam-lock buckle down again. Finish up by re-cinching your tether straps down again. It's really that easy -- and a feature that I don't know if I could live without after hunting out of Summits for more than a decade.. I've heard of people using those go up a tree, then go back down to readjust, go back up, come back down to readjust, and then go back up....in one sit. But I'm not mentioning any names. Let's just say he's got a LW now. ;)

Matt / PA 12-19-2008 08:49 AM

I've heard of people using those go up a tree, then go back down to readjust, go back up, come back down to readjust, and then go back up....in one sit. But I'm not mentioning any names. Let's just say he's got a LW now. ;)
Now that I'm SURE was a SHOT!! :eek::D

He's right though. With my Summit there was one tree that no matter what I did it seemed I could not get the initial angle correct and I'd come up to hunting height with the platform pointing down........, not just multiple times in one sit. (I think I climbed a total of about 110' that day! LOL) but on different days as well. :eek:
I said so many curse words I peeled a 15' section of bark off the tree with my language.

I haven't had to use the levelling trick yet with my LW but it's nice to know it's available.;)

GMMAT 12-19-2008 08:54 AM

Matt:

If you had the stirrups and the leg strength of a 12 yr old you could have altered your summit in a similar fashion!

(hell YES that was a shot!):D

Matt / PA 12-19-2008 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Matt:

If you had the stirrups and the leg strength of a 12 yr old you could have altered your summit in a similar fashion!

(hell YES that was a shot!):D
I'd like to see a 12yr old pull it off with the Cobra Hand climber top.
Height smake me nervous to begin with.........the tether straps on the sides of the LW really make me feel OK about letting the platform loose.
The Summit would scare me to death. I would have this vision of sitting up there for hours with nothing under my feet. [:-]
(I did tie it off to the seat but it just didn't have the feeling of any real control)

bloodcrick 12-19-2008 09:03 AM

Matt, Greg :DIt can also be done with the summit :DThe only reason i dont have the LW, Is that im waiting for Tuco to make me a great deal onhis, like he did my summit :DBut i got the feeling he will have his for ALONG TIME. ;)On my summit, if i need to adjust, i lower the top section as close to the bottom as i can, and still be able to sit in the seat. While sittingAND tied off :DIllstraddle both legs around the bottom section grasp my hands around it, pull it up more, and get another bite on it between my legs. Now i can reach down, flip the locks open and readjust the cable to desired setting. Matt, i can see this not working with you on the summit, ya big sasquach [8D]:D:D>>>BAM<<<

GMMAT 12-19-2008 09:14 AM

While sittingAND tied off :DIllstraddle both legs around the bottom section grasp my hands around it, pull it up more, and get another bite on it between my legs.
Seems universal enough.;)

MAtt...I stand corrected. With that upper.....you're gonna either be uncomfortable or you're gonna do a LOT of climbing and re-climbing! (As you know I have the Viper.....and with your feet in the stirrups.....and you butt on the sit/climb baryou can make that adjustment.)

Greg / MO 12-19-2008 09:15 AM

I just knew mentioning that one *(&$@ tree would get you cursing again! :D[8D]

Greg / MO 12-19-2008 09:18 AM

LOL... crick... As someone who took a Summit into the woods probably between 75-120 times a year for the better part of the last decade, I can really envision what you're describing. Trust me, it's WAAAAY easier with the LW.

muzzyman88 12-19-2008 09:19 AM

Actually, I used to level my Summit Cobra X4 all the time at height. I was not difficult at all. All I did was kneel with both knees on the seat. Reach down and adjust the cable. Not hard at all. ;)

Greg / MO 12-19-2008 09:25 AM

muzzy, would that be the chimpanzee family or the orangatang family you're from? [8D]

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-19-2008 09:27 AM

Or you could just....oh never mind.:D[8D] I've never seen so much hate/love for a "perfect [&:]" stand.[8D]

muzzyman88 12-19-2008 09:30 AM

hahaha, I dunno, one of the apes. :D

Seriously, I don't have long arms. I put the top section down as close to the platform as I can with interfering with me pulling the cable out and adjusting. Adjust it and then pull the top section back up to where I want it.

Of course, I did do this a lot while climbing, not at height. Once I realize the platform isn't going to be right, I'd rather adjust it at 10ft up a tree than 20ft. :D

I haven't had to do this yet with my LW Sit and climb. But absolutely, the two tethers on both sides really makes me feel more comfortable about performing that manuever.

Greg / MO 12-19-2008 09:32 AM

True enough. What I like about "performing that manuever" is that I can do it while sitting down with my back against the tree, comfortably -- not on my hands and knees leaning over looking down head-first! :D

GMMAT 12-19-2008 09:33 AM

I see none of this "hate" you keep mentioning, Rob. Hell our platform don't weigh 25#'s.....so it's not really an issue!:D

muzzyman88 12-19-2008 09:34 AM

On thing I didn't mention with the Lone Wolfs.

This really helps me with the setup on the tree. I had it down with my Summit, knowing how many lugs on each side for a certain size tree. It came with experience using it for a few years.

With the Lone Wolf, you don't have that convenience. I took my LW straps and laid them beside my Summit cables. I then took a paint pen or a Sharpy or work, and made big, easy to see marks on the LW straps that were the same distance as the Summit cable lugs. That helped me get the stand pretty close to the correct angle at the base of the tree. It's not perfect, since the angle of the arms on the LW differ from the Summit, but it should get you pretty close.