Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Acorn Trouble... >

Acorn Trouble...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Acorn Trouble...

Old 12-17-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Acorn Trouble...

Well this year in PA the Oak trees decided they all wanted to go dormant for the season and drop about 3 acorns per tree. It made hunting really hard this season because where i seen 10 deer an evening last year, i was lucky to see one an eveningthis year. I have heard a lot of my other hunting buddies saying the same thing, even though they were farther south than i was and some were hunting West Virginia and Maryland. How far south and west did this go? Did anyone else haave a problem with this this year?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Acorn Trouble...

Wasn't there something about this on the news. Like no acorns anywhere?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

pfft. Around here 3 acorns a tree would have been nice. I Gypsy Moths I think was the main issue around here. South central region and Its been the same story from everyone. I know a guy who relocated them from his yard to his stand sites

Ryan.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

No white oak acorns around here either.. The Burr Oaks produced, and a couple small pin oaks on my propery, but zero on the white oaks
Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

We had a few acorns, no where near what it could be for us. Hopefully it will be better next year.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

It was the same thing in my region of SE Pa (Mont & Delaware Co), NO acorns.Some red oaks gave upacorns but no white oaks, at least in my hunting area. White oaks don't have acorns every year anyway. They usually drop every other year. In some areas red oaks will drop in consecutive years though. Acorn drop is tree specific. In other words, if you have a grove of red and or white oaks, this doesn't mean the'll all drop acorns on a given year. Next year should be much better in my area.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had just the opposite problem. 2000 acres of hardwoods with acorns falling everywhere makes it hard to pattern deer.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I think this was a regional thing. Iheard the same thing fromfolks in other statesthat there were acorns coming down like rain. Feast or famine.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Anyone who's been here knows I live on 3 wooded acres (surrounded by the lands I hunt). I can teel you from simply mowing my lawn that we haven't had an "off" year (acorn-wise) since 2005 (the year I started hunting whitetails). I have both red and white oaks on the gorund here (residence).....and there are oaks roducing acorns I haven't even identified, yet....lol. I picked up 5 different kinds in a 5' radius, last season in just a few seconds of looking (in one of my favorite hunting spots).

It could be due to our climate here.....but I'm not sure.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

Yes, I think this was a regional thing. Iheard the same thing fromfolks in other statesthat there were acorns coming down like rain. Feast or famine.
Yep. Northeast Arkansas and West Tennessee are two of them. On any given day in the early season, it sounded like it was raining rocks. I've been hit by at least 15-20 big honkingacornsmyself. Those things hurtwhen all you've got on your head is an ASATmask.[:@]

Quick Reply: Acorn Trouble...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.