Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 numbers and stats....... >

numbers and stats.......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

numbers and stats.......

Old 12-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default numbers and stats.......

I've always found it amazing on here how many people know all their stats and numbers. People that have been hunting for years know exactly how many deer they've killed. Always amazed me. Myself, I havent' the first clue other than ... A LOT. I probably stopped counting after the first year or two. I kill one, butcher it, eat it and go try to kill another one. I repeat this proccessthroughout the year and it is what it is.

Then there are those that know exactly how many sits and hours they have sat on stand in a given year (or hunting career). Hell there are people that even know how many hours scouting they've done and break that down into ratios. Again, I have not the first clue about how many times I sat in a tree, how many hours or how many hours I have scouting other than ............ a lot.

I feel like I'm missing something. Seriously how can someone that has hunted for a long length of time know first hand how many deer they've killed? When asked that question is the answer on the top of their head or do they have a book or something to use as a reference?

Same for the people that know the exact number of sits and hours. Do you go home and log your hunting stats someplace? When asked do you bring it up on your computer, is it an estimate or do you know the running total already in your mind?

There is obviously nothing wrong with this. Just something that is TOTALLY foriegn to me. I'm just seriously wondering how people arrive at all these numbers and what they do to have them at their disposal. In a way I kind of wish I have kept records from day one because it would be interesting to know. I'm a little late on that though.

How do you know how many deer you've killed?
How do you know how many sits and hours you've been in a tree?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: numbers and stats.......

Deer? It's not that hard, I have every set of antlers and can remember every shot, it means that much to me, and does... it's that many if not a couple more. Math isn't that hard.

And hours, again, I know how many days I've hunted, I've only missed 1 day and Sundays and it's from after work til dark plus Saturdays and vacation. Again, the math isn't that hard.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Dominant Buck

This goes back to me being analytical about most everything I take up.

After a college baseball game....(I was a catcher...calling my own games)....I could tell you what we threw to each opposing batter (and the count/locaion of the pitch).

When I was playing a lot of golf.....I could recall the last several rounds.......yardage to pin for each shot.....club selected......result of the shot.....score.....and how many putts I had in each round.

I do keep a hunting log (started in my second season).....but I can tell you the date I took all of my bucks off the top of my head. I can recall shot distances of all my kills from recollection (just did it, yesterday) and estimate the distance each deer ran before being recovered. I can tell what head, arrow, etc. each was taken with. Most things RE: bowhunting I can recall without accessing my logs. I can recall the dates (from memory) I sighted each buck I've taken (if I saw them before I took them).

Maybe I won't be able to do this as time passes......but that's what my logs are for. I rarely utilize them for strategy purposes.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer? It's not that hard, I have every set of antlers and can remember every shot, it means that much to me, and does... it's that many if not a couple more. Math isn't that hard.
Ok I can understand the bucks because you have all the sets of antlers. The does you say that many or a couple more? Do you know the exact # of whitetails you've killed? I can "estimate" the total too. I'm talking about the people that have it pinpointed to specific numbers.

And hours, again, I know how many days I've hunted, I've only missed 1 day and Sundays and it's from after work til dark plus Saturdays and vacation.
Again... I'm talking about specifics. I could estimate the time and sits too. Others seem to have it down to the exact # of sits and exact amount of minutes on stand.

Math isn't that hard.
I know... I'm pretty good at math
Old 12-15-2008, 05:17 PM

For me keeping record of my deer kills are easy... I have been hunting for 7 years and have taken a photo of every deer i have taken... I have shot 13 so far and i will continue to take a photo of any deer i kiil..fawn or little buck it doesnt matter to me it is a tropy in my book.

As for number of sits a year i dont keep that good of record... im going to start though next year..
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've always been a stats guy. For many years I kept track of every trout I caught too. I still do for each season, but not anywhere permanent.

For hunting I have a log book that I write things down in. I transferred all the info from my old notebooks. Some years I have very little info, but have the date, time, weapon, sex, shot distance & recovery and method for every deer I've killed.
Over the last few years I have info for every hunt. I've always found keeping track very neat.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter
The number of deer is easy for me here in Illinois. When we use to have check-in stations we would receive a pin after we checked our deer in. Archery pins are always green and yellow and gun kills change colors each year. The pins also have the year printed on them. After Illinois went to call in/internet checking, we were able to order a pin for each kill. Since I had kept all of these pins from past season, I would always order a new pin with each kill. So really, all I have to do is count the number of pins I have and then add the few deer I have killed on out-of-state hunts.

As far as how many sits and hours I have spent in the tree, I have no idea how many sits I have had this year, more less in my hunting career.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember it all, 5 deer kills in 3 years. I remember the misses and lost opportunities as well. Its all about the experience.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

For me keeping record of my deer kills are easy... I have been hunting for 7 years and have taken a photo of every deer i have taken...
Maybe that's part of the problem for me ... I hardly ever take a picture of the deer I kill.

For hunting I have a log book that I write things down in. I transferred all the info from my old notebooks. Some years I have very little info, but have the date, time, weapon, sex, shot distance & recovery and method for every deer I've killed.
Over the last few years I have info for every hunt. I've always found keeping track very neat.
That's good stuff Rybo. That's what I was wondering about. Intersting that people have that much detailed information about their hunting.

I rarely utilize them for strategy purposes.
I was wondering about that as well. Do people use these numbers for anything? Or is it simply to have stats about their hunting?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Ok I can understand the bucks because you have all the sets of antlers. The does you say that many or a couple more? Do you know the exact # of whitetails you've killed? I can "estimate" the total too. I'm talking about the people that have it pinpointed to specific numbers.

And hours, again, I know how many days I've hunted, I've only missed 1 day and Sundays and it's from after work til dark plus Saturdays and vacation.
Again... I'm talking about specifics. I could estimate the time and sits too. Others seem to have it down to the exact # of sits and exact amount of minutes on stand.

Math isn't that hard.
I know... I'm pretty good at math
Well then I'm in your canoe then too cause I don't know exact numbers. It's been too long for seasons and I don't care about my exact hours this year.

Quick Reply: numbers and stats.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.