Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Good and Bad genetics >

Good and Bad genetics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good and Bad genetics

Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Good and Bad genetics

On our farm, we have two lines of bucks, one with good antler genetics and one with bad antler genetics. I noticed this about ten years ago andwe began to harvest what we thought were the deer with the bad genetics. We took out 1.5and 2.5 year old deer that had small "funky" racks and let the nice six and eight pointers go. A couple years later, it produced results. Over the next 4 or 5 years, there were 4 deer taken that scored over 130",one of themscoring around 160". The last few years, we've been letting all bucks walk that where under 3.5 yrs old regardless of what their rack looked like. Based on a couple of the maturebucks we've seen this year, we need to start culling out the "funky" racked deer. Maybe not necessarily the 1.5 year old deer, but I think you can get a pretty good idea of what a 2.5 year old deer will be in another year or two. Here's an example ofthe bad genetics. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Good and Bad genetics

Example of good genetics

Old 12-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Another example of good genetics

Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ship your bucks with bad genetics down here. I'll shoot them for you. I think you're deluding yourself if you think you can make a big change in antler form unless you control 1,000s of acres. Enjoy each rack for the uniqueness they have and let them reach their potential, whatever that may be.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Talondale

Ship your bucks with bad genetics down here. I'll shoot them for you. I think you're deluding yourself if you think you can make a big change in antler form unless you control 1,000s of acres. Enjoy each rack for the uniqueness they have and let them reach their potential, whatever that may be.
If it were possible, I would be happy to ship the bad genetics to you. I don't believe you have to control 1000's of acres to make a big change in antler form.Including the neighbors, there are around 500+ acres that participated in our "program". I saw the results. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:19 PM

Biologists have stated over and over again, you cannot alter the genetics of a free ranging deer herd. Everything I have read on the subject also stats you cannot tell a bucks potential until 3.5. If I were in your situation, I would let all those "funky" racked bucks walk.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vito1

Biologists have stated over and over again, you cannot alter the genetics of a free ranging deer herd. Everything I have read on the subject also stats you cannot tell a bucks potential until 3.5. If I were in your situation, I would let all those "funky" racked bucks walk.
Exactly. I dont believe genetics mean squat, they just need age.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I know what your saying.. We have good and bad genetics..

Every Year on the farm I hunt there are bucks taken that are 150-160" (large cattle farm) and many other nice ones.. However we have a line of genetics that we found about five years ago that are half racked bucks.. This year I seen three different half racked bucks, they have a rack on right side and a nub on the left. Now we have been trying to shoot these deer but have not seemed to make any progress cuz we keep seeing them year after year.. But we will keep after it.. We also have a thing with monster 8's but that's not a bad thing imo...
Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Talondale

Not necessarily true. I know what the pro's say but an adult doe can spend her entire life within 20 acres. Lookat some of the studys done at the UGA and LSU. Also, this study was done in LA. http://www.bayoubucks.com/forum/

scroll down until you see the heading, "Deer Telemetry Study"
Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

You do realize it takes two to tango, and the does are possibly carrying some of these 'genes' and theres no way to know which ones.

Quick Reply: Good and Bad genetics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.