Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 GMMAT by the Numbers >

GMMAT by the Numbers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GMMAT by the Numbers

Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GMMAT by the Numbers

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

I knew you would take a defensive position..lol. No hate at all...but after reading this thread there has been 1 quality post. Other than that, guys crying about you posting (or leaving), post counts, etc etc etc.

Hey...you shoot a lot of deer and post a lot. Congrats! I just feel upset that I read this thread and got nothing out of it. That's all.
Your just Jeleous....Because Jeff has killed so many mature bucks and fawn does in such a short period of time, and does it all while posting 50 a day, and you wish you could too. Get over it.

If you kept up with the last Butt kissing thread you would see the humor.At least IMO the guy mentioned in this thread is a class act. No matter how many deer he's killed.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Site Bouncer

Getting back on subject......

I think anyone would be hard pressed to duplicate the numbers Jeff has put up in the short timehe's been hunting. I've been lucky enough to see it from the very start when he first joined, and I'm not riding anyone's sack you can't dispute his success.

Before anyone accuses this post and me for having a "Jefflove fest" let me remind you (those that have been here a while) that Jeff and I have gotten intoprettyheated debates over the years (remember the W/B controversy Jeff?) so he's not above mine or anyone else's scrutiny. He's learned and applied very well and is at a point in his hunting journey where others would be wise to learn from him.

I give credit where credit is due and you have done well hunting Jeff but I must again warn you and I know you are aware of this as we've discussed this before on the open forum and through PM's. Your approach to things while very effective can lead to burnout. I know and as we've discussed, it's something I myself have had to overcome. The drive that he (and a lot of others here) have to become the very best at what they do, not for boastful purposes but for personal reasons can sometimes be detrimental to themselves and take away from the fun that this is supposed to be.

I've always said that I'd walk away from hunting the second it's no longer fun and there's a very good reason why I continue to say that. I've been down that nasty road where my sport was "all encompassing" and while it lead me to the pinnacle of my sport, (NFL) in the end it also left me drained and empty....void of any enjoyment.

Congrats on the success you've had thus far, I wish you manymore years of itbut I hope you keep this (hunting) in perspective and allow it to be what it's supposed to be....fun.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

The drive that he (and a lot of others here) have to become the very best at what they do, not for boastful purposes but for personal reasons can sometimes be detrimental to themselves and take away from the fun that this is supposed to be.

Congrats on the success you've had thus far, I wish you manymore years of itbut I hope you keep this (hunting) in perspective and allow it to be what it's supposed to be....fun.

well said....
Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

John:

You're a good friend....and your assessment (RE: Burnout) is spot-on and the timeliness in saying it is, also. I can't MAKE myself get up to hunt in the rain, now.....whereas I'd have walked to stand with an umbrella 2 months ago (although I did sit in a tree , last evening, with my longbow in the rain).

I'm trying to find ways to "keep it fresh"....and avoid the burnout. I'll never be "bored" hunting them....but hunting them the same old way....season after eason....WOULD bore me to tears.

I'm gonna take the compound out this afternoon....climb high....and hopefully take a doe (after 6 or so straight sits with the longbow). It'll be refreshing.

I'm gonna take a much needed break from here when the season's done.....and probably won't touch the compound for a few months. I might take the longbow on a few urban hunts (Saturday here and there).

I am looking forward to turkey season.....and I'll be rejuvenated, by then. Right now I'm tired....and burned out. Looking forward to today, though.

Thanks for the kind words, big man. I appreciate them. The mark of a true friend is being able to speak your peice VEHEMENTLY without making it personal. You've never done that.

Thanks, again.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff-

You have any other pieces of land you can hunt? I mean ones you haven't stepped foot on all season? Sounds like you put in as many hours and sits as I do (didnt' think that was even possible [8D]). I know the exact feeling you're talking about. There are a few different pieces of land that I hunt when I start getting that burned out feeling. I may only have one or two stands setup and know next to nothing about them, but it's still a good break. Just being in the woods looking at something "different" gives you that freshness again. I get to that point you're talking about and head someplace else (anyplace) for 4-5-6 days. Not only does that sharpen your focus and rekindle your ambition hunting different pieces, but it also does the same when you go back to your main piece. It makes going back in there fresh again too. Sometimes it's tough to have enough variety in a hunting season to not get burned out. Hunting from the ground does help. Adds a whole new perspective on things. That can get old too though. You start feeling "not so confident" and asking yourself what the heck you're doing lol. It's tough to hunt one piece as much as we do and not get burned. I've found a variety of lands to help a lot.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Glad this post has gotton serious

Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

NY....EVERYTHING you say is true. I'm going somewhere new, today. I also haven't hunted the land I just acquired since I shot my 11/29 buck.

Ground.....nailed it. Frustrated.

I have 350+ acres to hunt.....on about 6 different parcels (some are contiguous).

As a matter of fact.....you just gave me an idea.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

John:

You're a good friend....and your assessment (RE: Burnout) is spot-on and the timeliness in saying it is, also. I can't MAKE myself get up to hunt in the rain, now.....whereas I'd have walked to stand with an umbrella 2 months ago (although I did sit in a tree , last evening, with my longbow in the rain).

I'm trying to find ways to "keep it fresh"....and avoid the burnout. I'll never be "bored" hunting them....but hunting them the same old way....season after eason....WOULD bore me to tears.

I'm gonna take the compound out this afternoon....climb high....and hopefully take a doe (after 6 or so straight sits with the longbow). It'll be refreshing.

I'm gonna take a much needed break from here when the season's done.....and probably won't touch the compound for a few months. I might take the longbow on a few urban hunts (Saturday here and there).

I am looking forward to turkey season.....and I'll be rejuvenated, by then. Right now I'm tired....and burned out. Looking forward to today, though.

Thanks for the kind words, big man. I appreciate them. The mark of a true friend is being able to speak your peice VEHEMENTLY without making it personal. You've never done that.

Thanks, again.
No problem bud....

I'm glad you see the "signs" and can come up with ideas to keep it fresh and fun. I also like the fact that you're willing to put down the bow for a short while. I bet it will seem weird (assuming you haven't taken a break from shooting before) but sometimes it's the best medicine for burnout.

Same to you as far as the debates are concerned, as anyone here knows, I LOVE a good debateand even though I get heated (just the Italian in me) it'srarely personal for me. (There have been some however that I guarantee should consider themselves lucky they don't meet up with ole BigJ in person one day.)

Anytime you feel like switching it up a little, give me a holler and we'll do some upland bird hunting or kill some song dogs up here.

Good luck today hunting.