Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best camo?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best camo?

i have never used predator camo but i might look up about it
Old 12-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never much love for Natural Gear here. I have ASAT, Nat gear, realtree, fusion (under rated IMO) and Mossy Oak. Not a big fan of the MO, but the new tree stand looks good. I used Timber Ghost back in the day, Ultimate Camo seems to be the closest match to it on the market now. I'd feel confident with any of the above, buy what you like and sit still.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been wearing Predator Fall Brown for the past 3 seasons and it works very well. However, IMO, I think camo is very over rated. I believe that any decent pattern will be effective.

If you look around at pics of guys with this big bucks, you'll probably notice a vast variety of camo patterns being worn. That simply tells me that it is just not that important. Movement is what hurts you more than anything.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

I've been wearing Predator Fall Brown for the past 3 seasons and it works very well. However, IMO, I think camo is very over rated. I believe that any decent pattern will be effective.

If you look around at pics of guys with this big bucks, you'll probably notice a vast variety of camo patterns being worn. That simply tells me that it is just not that important. Movement is what hurts you more than anything.
I agree..and not hunting with the wind in your favor hurts the worst
Old 12-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Camo has really improved the last few years IMO. I am really liking my Realtree AP and using it almost exclusively this season.

Having said that I truly believe being still and how your stand is positioned relative to the deer entry trails is more important than the camo you are wearing.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like realtree treebark for stands looks like it would work IMO
yeah what about natural gear?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of the patternsmentioned, I've only experienced ASAT. Here are my accounts:

1) early october I was 15ft in a red oak right out in the open. I had a 1.5yr doe come in at 25yds and not notice me. There was nothing between me and the doe when I had to draw. She stopped when I drew and stood there for 3-4 seconds then continued as if nothing happened. Ikilled her.

2) late october I was 7ft in a cedar when a1.5yr 9pt buck came in from directly behind me. He stopped at 15yds and looked at my decoy which was in front of me for about a minute. He had to have looked directly passed me in order to see my decoy but never saw me and neverspooked. Ikilled him.

3) mid november I was once again in a bare trunk tree 13ft off the ground when a mature probably 4.5 buck came in directly in front of me and we had a staring contest at 13yds. He didn't exactly like what he saw but never did spook. I killed him.

In all the accounts, I was low or very low in a tree with zero cover. The range went from most of the leaves being on the trees to almost none of the leaves being on the trees. I think that has to say something about ASAT, especially with the 220 dressed 4.5 8ptr.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:58 AM

IMO, ASAT is it. There is no situation that I would not use it aside from inside a blind where black should be worn. I have worn it in early season deer stands tolate spring turkey hunts sitting on the ground tospot and stalk hunts in south Florida palmetto swamps.Yeah, it's ugly. But, it works. I could rattle off countless experiences similar to Hoytails above, but to keep it simple, time and time again my belief in the camo is reaffirmed. So many times an animal has "noticed" us (always with a cameraman) but not "seen" us. ASAT is less about "blending in" and more about "not sticking out" if that makes sense. It is simply hard for an animal to see or focus on it. If all I hunted was deer, I would agree that any camo can get it done if you set up right.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I justlike camo.....Alot of good patterns out there but I likeNatural Gear the most.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

PREDATOR FOR BOWHUNTING WHITETAILS PRIMARILY FROM ELEVATED POSITIONS IN THE MIDWEST- better Rob?

Quick Reply: best camo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.