Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When does brave become foolish? >

When does brave become foolish?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When does brave become foolish?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When does brave become foolish?

It's the question I'm asking myself right now. I'm heading north to hunt and temps are going to drop like a rock. Lows in the teens below zero are forecast and highs in the single digits. I will be alone and the closest human will be about 5 miles away from where I park. Part of me says"hell, If my truck won't start or if I have problems I can walk out".Part of me says " In those temps, if something happens I could end up like a frozen turd". I feel safe because I have a phone and I'm parked near a road that does get some traffic. I also check in every night. I also know that confidence can kill. I have gotten myself in some dandy situations in the past by being over confident.
What do you think? where do you draw the line between brave and foolish?

Good luck hunting everyone. See ya around Christmas time.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: When does brave become foolish?

Doesn't sound brave nor foolish magic, your just going huntin and good luck.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

You know your gear best and what you can tolerate.I myself the coldest I ever went out was -4 below with a little wind.I was cold and out of the woodsby about 9 oclock.I was watching the weather last night and Bismark N Dakota was talking about something near -50 below w/ the wind -15 below without. That is foolish not brave. I wish you the best of luck and make the right desicion. Hunting is always supposed to be enjoyable weather we connect or not.

Don't forget the people that could be put in danger having to come and get you if things don't work out like planned.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Great question.

I know if "I" hunted in places that were well off the beaten path.....I'd get myself one of those GPS things that you can call "911" in the case of an emergency.

I think they're around $200 (not sure, though).....and they have a small monthly fee, for monitoring.

**Edit -- Here's one for $169.00. I'm sure there's a monthly/annual monitoring fee.....but it's not a huge pricetag for total peace of mind you won't freeze to death.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brave becomes foolish when you do not prepare for a particular endeavor properly.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 AM

Ya know, in my years in the fire service, I adopted a phrase. "There is a mighty fine line between bravery and stupidity." The real catch is, it's up to the individual to draw that line. Good luck bro...
Old 12-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't take long to go from safe to dangerous in weather conditions like that. I see it as theres always another day. Its 8 degrees here with 35 mph winds which makes it about -20 wind chill. So as you can see, thats why I'm on the computer right now.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr October

You know your gear best and what you can tolerate.I myself the coldest I ever went out was -4 below with a little wind.I was cold and out of the woodsby about 9 oclock.I was watching the weather last night and Bismark N Dakota was talking about something near -50 below w/ the wind -15 below without. That is foolish not brave. I wish you the best of luck and make the right desicion. Hunting is always supposed to be enjoyable weather we connect or not.

Don't forget the people that could be put in danger having to come and get you if things don't work out like planned.
We talked about this when we went out west. We decided that a night time search would only endanger more people. We decided if anything happened we would wait til light.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Great question.

I know if "I" hunted in places that were well off the beaten path.....I'd get myself one of those GPS things that you can call "911" in the case of an emergency.

I think they're around $200 (not sure, though).....and they have a small monthly fee, for monitoring.

**Edit -- Here's one for $169.00. I'm sure there's a monthly/annual monitoring fee.....but it's not a huge pricetag for total peace of mind you won't freeze to death.
I've been eyeballing these for a while. They are a great tool. Maybe if I'm a good boy I'll get one in my stocking
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=9G44&dir_id=758&g roup_id=15073&cat_id=15830&subcat_id=15820 &adv=80488&cm_mmc=Become-_-Prod_feeds-_-Prod_feeds-_-80488&bhcp=1

Sorry. Here's the link for that SPOT GPS.

Quick Reply: When does brave become foolish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.