Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When does brave become foolish? >

When does brave become foolish?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When does brave become foolish?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When does brave become foolish?

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Brave becomes foolish when you do not prepare for a particular endeavor properly.
Graet point! most of the times I got into situations it was because I didn't prepare. Example: I do this all the time. I will walk into the woods telling myself I'm only going a little way. A mile later I'm looking for a compass that I didn't bring because "I'm only going in a little way".
Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Take some basic survival gear (space blanket, waterproof matches,etc) and make sure someone knows what area you'll be in. Check in with someone every night.

I solo hunt a wilderness area in Colorado every year. I take a satelite telephone. I don't find it brave or foolish because I plan it out and do it responsibly.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Todd, you know your stuff. Guy's like yourself, myself and other hunters of the north that have hunted In this stuff many other times have the best experience one can have. You can't buy good experience, all you can do Is learn It and learn from It. In saying that though one can get over confident like you said. Use your melon and keep In touch with someone on a daily basis like you said your going to do. Keep me posted on the hunting as I'll be hunting also this coming week In these fricking cold ass temps. Tomorrow's temps here- 4 degree's for a high, -14 for a low, -30 below wind chills.

Good luck wild man, be safe!!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

You only live once.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

True Dat!!! good luck Magic!!
ORIGINAL: mobow

Ya know, in my years in the fire service, I adopted a phrase. "There is a mighty fine line between bravery and stupidity." The real catch is, it's up to the individual to draw that line. Good luck bro...
Old 12-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Todd, Have a great hunt, put a couple of extra fire starters in your pack,couple extra lighters and you'll be fine. Windsor don't freeze.

Hell if you let a little cold skeer ya this year what will next year bring ,tee shirt huntingsouth of the Mason Dixon line?
Old 12-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Schultzy
Keep me posted on the hunting as I'll be hunting also this coming week In these fricking cold ass temps. Tomorrow's temps here- 4 degree's for a high, -14 for a low, -30 below wind chills.
And here I am getting all excited because our lows are supposed to back into the mid teens and have highs of only 30 the next couple of days.

Us southern guys just don't have a clue......we really don't. Good luck but most importantly, stay safe my friend.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Kind of comparing apples and oranges in this one aren't you. Bravery has nothing to do with proposed senerio. I would say more it''s smart of dumb. You prepare for possible problems, that's smart. Not preparing is stupid. so it's not brave or foolish, it's stupid or smart.[8D]
Old 12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Kind of comparing apples and oranges in this one aren't you. Bravery has nothing to do with proposed senerio. I would say more it''s smart of dumb. You prepare for possible problems, that's smart. Not preparing is stupid. so it's not brave or foolish, it's stupid or smart.[8D]
That makes sense. Brave would be going hunting for grizzly without a back up firearms shooter but being successful. Foolish would be doing the same but being eatin by the bear.