Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Keeping it "fresh" >

Keeping it "fresh"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping it "fresh"

Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Keeping it "fresh"

After last night's hunt from the ground with the longbow.....I've figured out a way to keep it fresh for '09. I' going to start right after the season making several ground blinds. I'm gonna give 'em plenty of time to get used to them. I can hunt these with either trad or compound.

One thing that was REALLY cool about that hunt (other than being on the ground with no blind)....was the fact I didn't have to pack a stand in. I packed one in and climbed 83 times, so far. I dropped an arrow off my string last night when the first doe came in.....and I quickly renocked one. So....when I got ready to walk out of the woodlot at dark....ALL I had to do was pick up that arrow and walk out. Awesome.

I'm gonna hunt the early seson from the ground in a lot of "doe" areas....out of the blinds I'll be constructing.

Just to keep things "fresh".

If you've never hunted from the ground (on purpose.....lol).....give it a try. Early season....it'll keep me from sweating so much (climbing).....and the adrenaline rush is incredible. If you already do this....pardon my newbie comments.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Keeping it "fresh"

Oh yeah....one more thing....

If you're one who thinks playing the wind is a questionable endeavor.....this might not be for you.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I killed last years buck from the ground.

I've killed two more that are bigger, no field pic's though just pic's of the deer.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tonight I took It to the ground Jeff. I usually hunt from the ground 1/2 dozen times a year, It's always fun when you see deer. My hunt tonight was the most exciting hunt I've had In 2 years I bet and guess what, It wasn't a big buck that got me excited, It was a fricking 3 point!!! I set up on the ground In some down fall just north of a huge bedding area. No fancy Enclosed ground blind, just me In some brush. An hour before dark this buck came out of the bedding area and headed right for me. I got In position just In case another buck would be coming but nothing else showed. Anyhow this buck came with In 8 yards of me this evening and had no clue I was there. Wind was perfect, I was on cloud 9 with him this close to me!!! Exciting it was. I could see every little hair on his body, man It was neat!! The funny thing was, I thought of the Tony right away with his spike thread.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

That's awesome Josh. Congrats...

I was in a tree, today thinking about this (thread topic). It kinda changes how you would scout, too.....when you're relegated to a shorter effective range (trad bow).

Another thing it'll do (hunting the ground) is keep you freakin honest on playing the wind. I had an old doe yesterday waltz around 'til she was dead downwind.....then she blew.

Compound bow? She's on the gambrel. Trad bow.....getting to full draw was a real accomplishment.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, you've got me pulling out my old recurve .....60" 45 pound black bear .....that should be enough to take down a whitetail, yes?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put this one on the ground from the ground, first buck i ever killed with a bow.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was also a ground kill.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

60" 45 pound black bear .....that should be enough to take down a whitetail, yes?
45 was the most common wght in the years before compounds - more then enough.

Steve
Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'venever used a blind.

Quick Reply: Keeping it "fresh"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.