Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I wonder?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:48 AM

Default I wonder?

I was talking to an older gentleman the other day and he told that deer horns somewhat grow to thier surroundings? Has anyone else ever heard anythignofd that nature before.

After he said that and the more I thought about it were I live it is very seldom to see any wide racked deer but they will instead be very tall. Example: 130" 14.5" wide &120" 12" wide and were we hunt it is extremly thick for the most part.

Is this just a coincidence or does that hold some truth?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I wonder?

I've heard that before. It's held true for everywhere I hunt. I'm not sure if it's just coincidental though.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it. A good example is mule deer. A timber deer generally has a dark "tall" set of horns. And a desert deer has lighter color "Wide" horns.. I am not sure if there is any scientific evidence that supports this, but I have seen it.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kind of like a snake in a tank can only grow to its surroundings? Makes sense.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking a bit about this during the season asI would see bucks from "The same area" with different coloration to their antlers. Some would be generally dark with very dark bases while others like the one I killed were almost bleached white top to bottom.

I was thinking a simple observation like that if you see the animal while scouting / trail cam etc that it might tell you where the deer prefers to bed.
The area that I was hunting has 2 primary bedding areas, thick high cover swamps.....and wide open miles of CRP.

CRP and the sun all day = white antlers?
Swamp and less sun = overall darker antlers?

Old 12-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

I believe he may be referring to the "genetic pool" in the area. Naturally,the dominate bucks that do most of the breeding in an area will determine what type of rack will dominate a certain area.It's justlike some areas have a tendency to produce more drop tines thanothers. Probably stems from bloodlines passed down the line from a buck that had thattrait.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it, isn't that how evolution works...Animals grow into and adapt to the area they live?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree 100%.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forget where I read it, but I think antler color has to do with how much blood was left under the velvet when shed. Could be wrong, but I think I remember reading this somewhere. The antlers are stained as the velvet dries and bucks that don't shed the velvet until it is real dry have the darker antlers. Could be total BS, but who knows.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

I believe it, isn't that how evolution works...Animals grow into and adapt to the area they live?
Yes, I believe you're right. That's why animals are much larger north of the equator. I think it's called Burgman's theory/law? Something like that anyway. That's why Canadian whitetails are so much larger than in the states.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.